Articles tagged 'musicians'

Musicians now a road menace 13 September 2017 HARARE - Gospel singer Fungisai Zvakavapano-Mashavave has become the latest victim of negligent driving after she allegedly caused an accident in the capital which saw three cars damaged and her case is still pending at the Harare Magistrate Courts. This comes after urban grooves musician Tere...
Music stars fail to handle fame 6 July 2017 HARARE - Talented vocalist and guitarist Alick Macheso is arguably the best selling sungura musician of our time. The 49-year-old singer is not just famed for the way he strums his bass guitar, but for his music extolling the virtues of good marriages and promoting oneness among families. F...
Artistes paid $5K per month to clear debt 16 May 2017 HARARE - State-run Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) is currently paying an average of $5 000 per month to liquidate its legacy debt which stood at $478 080 as at April 31, Broadcasting Services deputy minister Thokozile Mathuthu has said. Mathuthu told the Senate last week that the mont...
Musicians suffer poor recording contracts 20 November 2016 HARARE - Many people take the adage “Ignorance is not an excuse at law” for granted until they are in a tight spot. There is an increasing number of artistes who are signing contracts without paying particular attention to the small print. Not surprisingly, most of these artistes eventually...
Zimura spending raises stink 31 May 2016 HARARE - The Zimbabwe Music Rights Association (Zimura) expenditure took up 53 percent of cash collected last year, leaving 47 percent to royalty payments. This has raised a stink with musicians, who feel that the association is using too much of the funds which are supposed to go towards roya...
Musicians need synergies 8 April 2014 HARARE - Zimbabwean musicians have over the years forged ties with each other, creating exciting partnerships that have gone beyond marketing their brands. One of the most effective options which local musicians have exploited is the official launch of their new albums. The recent launch by...
Music industry's glory days gone 11 February 2014 HARARE - In the 1990s and even a decade later, musicians in Zimbabwe used to survive on music royalties from the sale of their music records. Musicians like Alick Macheso, Oliver “Tuku” Mtukudzi, Leonard Zhakata, the late Simon Chimbetu, System Tazvida and Leonard Dembo among others used to se...