Wasteful Bulawayo Chiefs drop points

Bulawayo Chiefs……………(1) 1
Nichrut……………………....…… 1

BULAWAYO - Bulawayo Chiefs missed a golden opportunity to move towards safety from relegation when they were held by Nichrut in a Castle Lager Premiership match yesterday.

Captain Gracious Mleya scored in the first half for the home side that went on to dominate the rest of the game but were wasteful in front of goal.

The home side was punished for those wasted chances as Nichrut equalised with a late penalty converted by Frankson Bushiri.

With the point gained yesterday, Chiefs remain in 13th place on the log with 32 points from 29 matches.

Nichrut are just one place above Chiefs also on 32 points but have a healthier goal difference.

Chiefs coach Garthly Chipuka was disappointed with how his team let Nichrut off the hook.  

“I think in the first half, we had a lot of chances; if we had buried them, we wouldn’t be talking about the penalty,” Chipuka said.

“Basically, for us it is two points lost since we are fighting for survival, three points would have carried us a long way. The team is functioning very well; it is only that we are unlucky sometimes.

“We need to maybe work on the psychological aspect of the players because maybe of the pressure on them.”

Nichrut assistant coach William Mhazo, standing in for hospitalised coach John Nyikadzino, said: “I think it was an excellent display from the team. We played for our coach...Nyikadzino who is in hospital.

“We dedicate the point to the coach who advised us that a point was OK away from home. I’m happy the boys played very well.”

Chiefs broke the deadlock 19 minutes into the match when Nichrut failed to deal with a George Majika corner kick.

Mleya took advantage of a goalmouth scramble that followed to score with a simple tap in. The home side went on to create a number of chances that they failed to convert.

Forward Stanley Ngala was the chief culprit as he wasted a number good opportunities.

The home side were duly punished two minutes before full time when defender Sikhumbulani Dube handled inside the box.

Referee Allan Bhasvi awarded the visitors a penalty and Bushiri made no mistake to equalise for the visitors.


Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.