Highlanders baptise Yadah in Chibuku


Yadah FC...1

BULAWAYO - Highlanders had to rally from behind to overcome battling Yadah and book a place in the quarterfinals of the Chibuku Super Cup here yesterday.

Second half goals from Mbongeni Ndlovu and Newman Sianchali were all Bosso needed to cancel a Simbarashe Sithole opener for Yadah.

And after the match Highlanders technical director Madinda Ndlovu admitted they had to grind the result.

“It was not our normal flowing football but I think the comeback was marvellous.

“The boys know how to grind out a result to get to the next stage of the cup. These are cup games you just have to make sure you grind out results.

“I say big up to the boys for the brave comeback but in terms of tactic and everything, we didn’t play the football we normally play,” said Ndlovu.

Yadah coach Thomas Ruzive thought a lapse in concentration was their biggest letdown.

“Our game plan was to attack from the onset and we managed to score a goal.

“My defenders went to sleep in the last 15 minutes and we conceded. Football is sometimes cruel; we scored first but ended up losing,” he said.

The match started at a fast pace with Highlanders taking charge especially in midfield as Yadah were content with sitting at the back while relying on counter attacks.

Highlanders created some good scoring opportunities in the first half but they failed to beat Yadah goalkeeper Steven Chimusoro who was on top of his game.

Yadah came back from the half time break a changed side and started to throw everything at Highlanders.

Sithole then broke the deadlock just three minutes from the break when Bosso defenders failed to deal with a seemingly easy cross.

After the goal Yadah put the foot off the pedal and allowed Highlanders to camp in their half.

Bosso kept on piling the pressure and equalised on 72 minutes when Ndlovu connected a Gabriel Nyoni deflected shot to put his team back into the match with Yadah defenders nowhere near action.

Sianchali scored the winner for Highlanders four minutes before full time.

Peter Mudhuwa made a solo run and chipped the ball for Nyoni who set the ball for the unmarked Sianchali in the penalty box.

Sianchali made no mistake with a first time shot with his weaker left foot to send the Highlanders supporters into jubilation and spoil an otherwise good day in office for the visitors’ goalkeeper Chimusoro.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.