CAPS United still in search of first win

Bulawayo Chiefs………(2) 2

CAPS United……………(1) 2

BULAWAYO - Former champions CAPS United are still searching for their first win of the 2018 Castle Lager Premiership season after they drew with new boys Bulawayo Chiefs yesterday.

Makepekepe, who finished the match with 10 men after Justice Jangano’s sending off, were held to a goalless draw by Harare City in their opening match and had to come from behind to salvage a point against Chiefs.

Yesterday’s match had to start 30 minutes late after there was a clash of colours of the two teams’ kit.

Makepekepe are still to receive their away strip from their technical sponsors Roar and had to use orange warm-up T-shirts which they wore inside out with players’ names written with a fading marker.

When the match finally kicked-off, the home side opened the scoring through Kundishora Chakanyuka.

Makepekepe equalised through John Zhuwao but Chiefs regained their lead through Gracious Muleya but Joel Ngodzo rescued a point for the visitors with a second half penalty.  

After the match Bulawayo Chiefs coach Garthly Chipuka thought their strategy of defending deep cost them.

“We wanted to defend deep and we conceded a penalty. Had we not conceded a cheap goal, we could have won; maybe it’s a strategy that failed to work,” Chipuka said.

“The fact that we scored two goals is a positive for us; we also need to work harder on our defending.”

Makepekepe coach Lloyd Chitembwe thought his team played well despite failing to get a win.

“It was a good game of football. As far as I am concerned I am very happy with the progress in the team.

“This is just a short distance in a very, very long journey,” Chitembwe said.

“I’m very happy with the way the boys responded especially in the second half after the tactical change. The progress is very good.”

Chiefs opened the scoring after only eight minutes when their captain Chakanyuka netted with a beautiful diving header after he was left unmarked in the box.

Makepekepe equalised in the 12th minute when Simbarashe Nhivi robbed Chiefs defender Shadreck Nyahwa before setting up Zhuwao who had the easiest of tasks — tapping the ball into the net.

Perfect Chikwende almost restored Chiefs’ lead but his dipping shot was tipped over the bar by Prosper Chigumba.

The home side managed to regain their lead just after the half hour mark when Muleya took advantage of commotion in the CAPS’ box to score their second.

In the second half, CAPS were on the front foot from the onset and were finally rewarded for their pressure after they were awarded a penalty in the 63rd minute.

Ngodzo made no mistake from the spot as he sent goalkeeper Kelvin Moyo the wrong way from 12 yards out.

CAPS finished the match with 10 men after Jangano was sent off 15 minutes from full-time after receiving his second booking of the match.


Bulawayo Chiefs: Kelvin Moyo, Marlvin Nkolo, shadreck Nyahwa (Talent Mandizvidza 78m), Polite Moyo, Last Moyo, Takunda Mazuva, Gracious Muleya, Perfect Chikwende, Farau Mutare (Arthur Musiyiwa 66m), Kundishora Chakanyuka (Dillan Chivandire 88m), Moses Majika

CAPS United: Prosper Chigumba, Kudzanayi Nyamupfukudza (Carlton Munzabwa 42m), Valentine Musarurwa, Justice Jangano, Stephen Makatuka, Cabby Kamhapa, Milton Ncube (Peter Moyo 43m), Simbarashe Nhivi (Denver Mukamba 72m), Joel Ngodzo, John Zhuwawu, Brian Muzondiwa.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.