Bosso in good start

Highlanders .....................(1) 2
Black Rhinos..........................1

BULAWAYO - Highlanders made a positive start to the 2018 Castle Lager Premier Soccer League season with a win over Black Rhinos in a match played here yesterday.

The Madinda Ndlovu-coached outfit deservedly bagged the three points thanks to a dominant display which saw them in control for the better part of the match.

“It’s still the same approach which we have embarked on as a club. It’s a progression to the vision that we have. Rhinos were very trick customers to us.

“It was a challenging situation for the boys. I think ... we really matched Black Rhinos (in all departments) . .  For the youngsters it’s a morale booster going forward,” said Ndlovu.

Black Rhinos coach Herbert Maruwa was happy with his team’s display despite the loss.

“It was always going to be difficult to play Highlanders in front of their supporters. I am quite happy with the way the boys did their job especially in the second half.

“It was a game of two halves whereby in the first half we had a slow start but in the second half we came back organised. We lost to a good team and I give credit to Highlanders,” said Maruwa.

The match started on a high tempo with both teams trying to control the game.

Highlanders’ midfielder Nigel Makumbe almost broke the deadlock 11 minutes into the match from a dead-ball situation outside the penalty box. Herbert Rusawo pulled a reflex save and punched the dipping ball out for a corner.

Wellington Taderera wasted an opportunity to put Rhinos ahead when he directed his effort wide after Highlanders defenders had failed to deal with a Rhinos cross.

Godfrey Makaruse broke the deadlock nine minutes before half time. Makumbe dribbled and left two defenders for dead before chipping the ball for Makaruse who headed the ball into an empty net.

Black Rhinos came back from half time fired up as they searched for an equaliser. The pressure immediately paid off as top marksman Lot Chiunga scored two minutes from the resumption of play.

Chiunga connected a Farai Banda free kick from the edge of the penalty box with a beautiful header for the army team.

The parity was, however, short-lived as Gabriel Nyoni put Bosso back into the lead two minutes later.

After a good interchange of passes, the ball fell for Makumbe in the penalty box who controlled the ball for Nyoni.

Nyoni fired the ball into the back of the net with a first time shot to put Highlanders ahead for the second time in the match. Bosso held on to secure maximum points to the delight of the home fans.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.