DeMbare settles for silver

HARARE - Dynamos settled for second place as their hopes for a miraculous end to the season ended in disappointment despite a 1-0 win over Chicken Inn here yesterday.


Dynamos Football Team

The Harare giants had hoped for a mighty favour from Chapungu, with either a draw or  a win for the Gweru airmen enough for Lloyd Mutasa’s charges to lift the championship.

It was however, not to be as FC Platinum kept their eyes on the money and emerged 0-2 winners over Chapungu away at Ascot Stadium to be crowned the 2017 Castle Lager Premier Soccer League champions.

Despite, the disappointment, DeMbare were still able to pop up their champagne bottles and had fireworks displays done in their honour by the PSL after they were presented with their runners-up medals.

Mutasa paid tribute to his boys for ensuring that they fought till the end and conceded that they did all they could to try and wrestle the championship.

“In retrospect, I would say it was a good season on the overall, we had some days we switched off which could have cost us the title but we made a good turnaround and for us to be able to fight till the last day,” Mutasa said after the match.

“The desire and hunger to win was there and it was evident with the early goal that we got. It’s unfortunate that destiny wasn’t in our hands going into this final match; FC Platinum had the momentum and seized the initiative. We could only control our own game, congratulations to FC Platinum for winning the league, I’m sure we will come back stronger next season but in the meantime we will celebrate our second-place finish.”

The former champions got their only goal in the fifth minute through Obey Mwerahari who headed in an Ocean Mushure pin-point cross to beat Elvis Chipezeze in goals for Chicken Inn and with no other goals coming despite a plethora of promising chances falling on either side, the teams went for the breather with only the solitary goal separating them.

DeMbare’s Cameroonian hit-man Christian Ntouba was awarded a penalty after being brought down in the box in the 52nd minute only to send the resultant spot kick over the bar.