Chinda Boys stun How Mine

BULAWAYO - Shabanie Mine produced a five-star performance to beat How Mine 2-3 to ease their relegation woes in the Castle Lager Premiership yesterday.

Shabanie needed nothing short of a victory to bolster their chances of survival and with yesterday’s stunning victory they moved to 39 points on the log table.

The Chinda Boys got their goals from Wellington Taderera, Maxwell Murimi and Bruno Mtigo while Kuda Musharu and Adolf Muganyi scored for the home side.

Takesure Chiragwi’s side now only need a point in their last match against Yadah FC, who have already secured their place in the top flight next season. 

Chiragwi was impressed with the fighting spirit shown by his team that looked dead and buried just a few weeks ago before they started picking up crucial points.

“We are very happy. This was a crucial game, getting three points from a team like How Mine is not easy. We are going to fight to the end to survive relegation,” Chiragwi said.

How Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu was disappointed by the loss.

“The referee of the day did a fantastic job. It was a very difficult game. We made costly mistakes and they capitalised. We dropped vital points at home. The least we should have done was a draw,” Kaindu said.

Shabanie opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Taderera capitalised on a lapse in concentration by the How Mine defence.

The Shabanie forward had an easy task of slotting the ball past the home side’s goalkeeper Munyaradzi Diya.

After going behind, the home side started to probe the visitors’ defence but their attacks were repelled as Shabanie went into the half time break in the lead.

In the second half, Chikurupati continued with their pressure on the Shabanie goal and their efforts were rewarded  when Muganyi scored for the home side after he had been sent through by substitute Musharu’s flick as he volleyed past Shabanie goalkeeper Petros Moyo.

How Mine were on the ascendancy and after creating the equaliser, Musharu was at hand to give his side the lead in the 79th minute with a wonderful strike.

Musharu dribbled past two defenders before hitting the back of the net.

However, Shabanie quickly regrouped and were back on level terms three minutes later when Murimi scored.

Murimi hit a beautiful curling shot that left Diya rooted to the spot to get his side back in the game.

The Chinda Boys completed the memorable comeback four minute into added time when Mtigo was sent through by Farai Mupasiri.

Mtigo then toe poked the winner past Diya to send the Shabanie bench into a frenzy.

Meanwhile, Chicken Inn and Chapungu drew nil-all at the same venue, a result which saw the home side secure a top-four finish.

The Gamecocks are now on 61 points, four ahead of fifth-placed CAPS United and their final game of the season against Dynamos next weekend no longer has any bearing on their league finish. 

As for Chapungu, they dropped down a place to ninth place on the log with 44 points.

Chapungu coach Tendai Chikuni thought it was a tactical match.

“It was a game of missed chances. First half we created chances and we could not bury them. The legs were a bit tired because of the games we have played so far. The game was more tactical than anything else,” Chikuni said.

As has been the norm, Chicken Inn coach Rahman Gumbo refused to attend the post-match presser.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.