Harare City slide towards relegation

TRIANGLE - Harare City coach Philani Ncube says they are not pressing the panic button yet despite sitting one point from safety following a disappointing defeat at the hands of Triangle in a Castle Lager Premiership match at Gibbo yesterday. 

Defender Peace Tshuma had done well to cancel an own goal by defender Jimmy Tigere in the first half before substitute Efnos Kamunda secured maximum points for the home side with his first touch of the game in the second half.

The result meant Harare City remain on 35 points one point clear of Hwange, who occupy the last relegation slot with 34 points following a 3-0 victory over Highlanders yesterday.

However, with three matches left before the season ends, Ncube is convinced they will survive the chop at the end of the campaign.

“We played very well but we couldn’t convert the chances that came our way. I also felt we conceded soft goals but well, we are going back to the drawing board and start thinking of out next match,” Ncube said after the game.

“But we are not panicking yet. I am 99 percent confident that we will survive relegation at the end if the season. There are still three matches left and we will do everything to ensure we pick up maximum points.”

Triangle settled early and went on to cause some anxious moments for the visitors in the opening stages of the game only to be let down by their strike force.

There were duly rewarded on 32 minutes when defender Tigere beat his own keeper with a flicking header under pressure to clear a Russel Madamombe corner kick.

Powered by the goal the home side continued to press and three minutes later Ralph Kawondera almost doubled their lead only to send his effort wide with City goalkeeper Tatenda Munditi badly exposed.

But the Sunshine Boys slowly clawed back into the game and it was not a surprise when Tshuma equalised in the 39th minute following some good exchange of passes involving Wilfred Muvirimi and Malvin Gaki.

Substitute Kamunda restored Triangle’s lead on 67 minutes with a simple connection following some sloppy defending by the visitors.

It was Kamunda’s first touch of the game moments after replacing Courage Denias.

Triangle coach Taurai Mangwiro was happy with the victory saying: “I think it was a good victory for us. After a lengthy period without a win I think it was crucial that we picked up maximum points today, we needed this at all costs.”


Triangle: Ronald Mudimu, Donald Dzvinyai, Nelson Meson, Kudzai Chigwida, Guthrie Zhokinyu, Ralph Kawondera, Tendai Huwa, Brian Juwayeyi, Courage Denias (Efnos Kamunda 66m), Russel Madamombe, Lameck Nhamo

Harare City: Tatenda Munditi, Tendai Samanja, Jimmy Tigere, Martin Vengesai, Peace Tshuma (William Manondo 53m), Raymond Uchena, Edwin Madhanhanga, Hastings Chapusha, Takudzwa Chimwemwe, Wilfred Muvirimi, Malvin Gaki (Jerry Chipangura 77m)

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.