Replay confusion: Chapungu struggling, DeMbare in a fix

HARARE - Chapungu are struggling to raise a squad for tomorrow’s re-arranged Castle Lager Premiership match against Dynamos at Ascot Stadium.

The initial match was played on June 18 but was abandoned after 56 minutes when one goalpost at Ascot collapsed after Chapungu goalkeeper Talbert Shumba crashed into the upright as he tried to save a shot with Dynamos leading 4-0.

Efforts to repair the goalpost by technicians from the City of Gweru took long and by the time they finished there was not enough light to continue the match.

In the end the referee was forced to call off the match but the Premier Soccer League (PSL) took long to make a determination on the outcome of the game. 

In the end, it was only last month was when the PSL Disciplinary Committee finally passed judgment and ordered the match to be resumed from the 56th minute with the scores still at 4-0.

In such scenarios, Fifa statutes state that when a match is resumed under such circumstances, teams must field the same personnel that were on the field when the match was stopped.

Usually such determinations are made just after the match has been stopped with the match resuming at least 48 hours later.

However, in the Chapungu-DeMbare case, the PSL waited over two months before the match could be replayed which has created a lot of problems for Chapungu.

The Air Force of Zimbabwe side has at least five players out injured from that side which was on the pitch when the match against the Glamour Boys was stopped.

Raymond Sibanda has been sidelined with an ankle injury, Ian Nyoni has been out with a knee injury and Maxwell Mavuto has been out for the past three weeks with a knee injury as well.

Defender Blessing Zabula is currently battling with a bout of Malaria which will make him unavailable for tomorrow’s match. 

To make it worse, Chapungu were active during the mid-season transfer window which was opened throughout the month of June.

Ngoni Murisa moved to Zifa Northern Region Division 1 side Blue Swallows while Nigel Papias has moved on to Bantu Rovers.

PSL spokesperson Kudzai Bare said: “As of now we haven’t received anything regarding the current state of players at Chapungu.

“So, our understanding is that the game is going ahead as planned with both teams observing the ruling of using the same players that were on the pitch that day.

“But suppose there is anything like that both teams had submitted a list of 18 players so they are free to use some of them.”

DeMbare are currently reeling over the availability of utility player Obey Mwerahari, who was injured during the defeat to CAPS United at the weekend.

Mwerahari was replaced in the second half after suffering a muscle injury and is still to make any progress.

Midfielder Denver Mukamba, who also played against Chapungu, missed the weekend’s defeat to Makepekepe due to disciplinary reasons.

Mukamba was involved in a training ground burst up with coach Lloyd Mutasa last Friday and was dropped from the squad.

The Glamour Boys executive was last night scheduled to meet to discuss Mukamba’s fate.

Mukamba’s availability for the match is in doubt considering the state of his relationship with Mutasa.

“We are yet to get any news from the executive regarding Denver but Obey is going to be out for at least two weeks,” Dynamos team manager Richard Chihoro said.

“We talked to the PSL and they said when the match starts we can make a substitution ... since we had not made any substitutions.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.