Bosso to appeal empty stadium ban

BULAWAYO - Highlanders insist they will appeal a stadium ban imposed on their fans by the Premier Soccer League (PSL) following the violence that erupted after a match against Chicken Inn in August.

The match which finished tied 1-1 ended in controversial circumstances after the referee blew the final whistle when Chicken Inn had scored.

Chicken Inn players protested against the decision while Bosso players argued Tafadzwa Kutinyu was in an offside position when he had scored.

Due to the commotion, Bosso fans stormed the pitch where they clashed with police leaving one police officer seriously injured.

The PSL yesterday fined the Bulawayo giants $3 500 before suspending $1 500 and ordered the club to play their next home game before an empty stadium.

Bosso chief executive officer Ndumiso Gumede yesterday said the sentence was harsh but indicated Sunday’s match against Bulawayo City will not be affected by the ruling.

“Our Sunday match is going ahead; we have done all the preparations and advertisement, so this punishment won’t affect this coming game,” Gumede said.

“As Highlanders we feel the punishment is too harsh as a result we are going to appeal against this ruling. We feel that our points of arguments were not put into consideration because if that had been done, we could not be having this inconsiderate decision.”

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s crucial league game against Bulawayo City, Bosso technical director Cosmos Zulu said they were expecting a tough encounter.

“This is going to be a tough game because Bulawayo City are our neighbours meaning we know each other very well. So it means it’s not going to be an easy encounter,” Zulu said.

Highlanders currently sit on third position on the log with 50 points, three behind log-leaders CAPS United with only four games to go before the season ends.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.