Stunner pleads guilty to negligent driving

HARARE - The State yesterday pushed for imprisonment of urban grooves artiste Desmond "Stunner" Chideme after he was convicted of negligently driving into four parked cars — at his own plea.

Chideme was convicted of not having a driver’s licence and negligent driving by Harare magistrate Nomsa Sabarauta.

His sentence will be handed down today.

Prosecutor Devoted Nyagano had no kind words for the musician and urged the court to send him to jail.

“The accused person pleaded guilty not because of contrition but because he was aware that there is no way out since there is overwhelming evidence,” Nyagano said.

“He is a celebrity who is highly regarded by society and ought to have upheld the law and not driven without a licence.

“There is no proof that he repaired the said vehicles and if the court were to look into a local tabloid today, he was photographed behind the wheel meaning he is not repentant.

“An example should be set because statistics of people driving without licences are on the rise and more people are losing their lives.”

In mitigation Chideme, who was being represented by Dumisani Mthombeni, pleaded for a moderate sentence.

“The accused person is married with three children and also takes care of his disabled 60-year-old mother he regularly takes her to physicians,” Mthombeni said.

“Like many of us, he has been hard hit by harsh economic conditions as he can no longer make a living out of CD sales because of piracy. He further owes producers for the work done to come up with his latest album.”

Mthombeni urged the courts to consider that his client was remorseful and made efforts to rectify the damages sustained.

“The accused person assisted victims by settling their medical bills. He even went further composing a song that raises awareness against road rage in collaboration with Zimbabwe Republic Police.

“The reason why he ended up in this situation was because he had an emergency. His son was said to have collapsed and he wanted rush home and get the minor to a hospital otherwise that car had been parked ever since its purchase.

“I believe a fine of $100 or less would meet the justice of this offence as it was not premeditated. It was an accident and no one is immune.”

On June 20, this year at around 3pm Chideme drove a Toyota Lexus, along Jason Moyo Avenue fully aware that he was not a holder of a driver’s licence issued in terms of the Act in respect of such a motor vehicle.

While driving along that road, Chideme lost control of his car and it veered off to the right side and hit four cars that were parked in a bay.

The vehicles were identified as VW Golf, Toyota Rav 4, Toyota Tercel and a Toyota Hilux.

According to court records, all the vehicles sustained serious damages after the accident.

As a result of the impact the fifth party’s vehicle hit Douglas Sachikonye who was on the pavement and sustained a fracture on the pelvis, and Norest Murugweni also sustained minor injuries.

Comments (2)

the bad precedent set on Dudu's case will forever haunt the justice system. Driving without a licence is and must be treated as a serious offence. Now we wait.

X-MAN IV - 11 October 2016

aewa pakuti mota yanga yakapakwa before the incident ,its a lie ...mota taiiona nzvimbo dzakawanda iyo

Eyewitness - 20 October 2016

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.