DeMbare sink further

HARARE - How Mine piled more misery on under pressure Dynamos coach Lloyd Mutasa after the Glamour Boys were bundled out of the Chibuku Super Cup on penalties here yesterday.

Police had to move in to disperse irate fans who were baying for Mutasa’s blood following yesterday’s defeat which comes hard on the heels of last weekend’s league loss to bitter rivals Highlanders.

The annoyed fans waylaid the DeMbare team bus near the main entrance and could be heard hurling insults at the coach and the club’s executive.

In the end, the police K9 unit had to be called in to force the fans to leave the venue.

“We are tired of supporting a team which does not win. We don’t understand why they can’t win. We want to see change, we cannot continue like this,” one angry fan could be heard shouting.

Yesterday’s defeat has left the Harare giants with the prospect of finishing the season empty-handed as they are a massive 15 points behind log leaders FC Platinum with only seven matches left before the season ends.

The Glamour Boys, who missed the services of gangly forward Roderick Mutuma and skipper Stephen Alimenda, who were demoted to the bench, were awful in their performance with poor passes and failure to coordinate in all departments.

Mutasa left many Dynamos fans with a lot of questions when he took out Takunda Sadiki while leaving his son Wisdom, who struggled to impress throughout the afternoon allowing How Mine to dominate in the middle of the park.

Despite the young midfielder offering little for the whole 90 minutes, Mutasa went on to give him the responsibility of taking the last kick in the penalty shootout.

It proved to be a costly decision as Wisdom shot straight at How Mine keeper Donovan Bernard.

The How Mine goalie went on to score the winning spot kick for his side.

DeMbare had managed to convert four spot kicks through Ocean Mushure, Godknows Murwira, Denver Mukamba, Masimba Mambare while Bernard saved from Tatenda Mkuruva and Wisdom.

For How Mine, Qadr Amini, Milton Ncube, Kuda Musharu and Pasca Manhanga converted their spot kicks while Praise Tonha was denied by Mkuruva.

A dejected Mutasa was at pains to explain how his team lost.

“We never created much going forward. We had wanted to win it during regulation time but we failed to do that. We thought we gonna give our all in this Chibuku Cup but it wasn’t to be.”

The game never lived up to expectations as both teams struggled to fashion out clear-cut chances. It was How Mine, however, who came close to scoring especially in the second half with Timothy January’s effort hitting the cross bar in the 64th minute while Toto Banda also came close but was denied by Mkuruva at point blank.

How Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu was an elated man after picking his first ever victory over Dynamos.

“I don’t know, I don’t have so many words, I think it has taken me a long time to celebrate winning against Dynamos,” Kaindu said.

“I remember when I was still at Highlanders, we played about 11 minutes of injury time and they ended up equalising.

“But I give credit to the guys, everybody put up a fight. It was not easy. We controlled the game and we deserved to win.

“We knew that our biggest hurdle was Dynamos and we said guys in terms of fighting for the championship we are far behind, the only consolation we can have is the Chibuku Cup.

“It also comes with an opportunity to play in Africa and I am happy everyone responded.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.