Bosso get revenge over Rovers

BULAWAYO - Highlanders are through to the Chibuku Super Cup quarter-finals after beating Mutare City Rovers at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

An own goal from Munyaradzi Sako and a late Ralph Matema strike ensured Erol Akbay’s men will go into the hat for the quart-finals while Agrippa Murimba scored the consolation for the visitors.

Akbay was a happy man after the match as his side avenged the home defeat they suffered at the hands of Magusha in a recent league match.

“It was a good game, we played good football,” Akbay said. “In the second half we started badly and they equalised. It became difficult but I’m happy we managed to get a win. We could have scored more, we had a lot of chances that we didn’t score.”

Magusha coach Taku Shariwa was disappointed with his team’s defending yesterday.

“We need to concentrate on surviving relegation. The loss might have been a blessing in disguise,” Shariwa said.

“We played well, we relied more on counter attacks and also capitalising on their mistakes. It is unfortunate we conceded two soft goals. We also rushed in the attacking third; our supply in the attacking third was wayward.”

Bosso started the match like a house on fire and could have scored many goals had they not been wasteful in front of goal.

City’s Wonder Sithole almost broke the deadlock 13 minutes into the game when his effort from inside the box missed target by inches with Bosso keeper Ariel Sibanda well beaten.

A minute later, Simon Munawa’s effort from the edge of the box missed the upright after a good interchange of passes involving man-of-the-match Rahman Kutsanzira and Allan Gahadzikwa.

With the home side dominating possession, Munawa missed another clear-cut opportunity 25 minutes into the match.

Honest Moyo sent in an inch perfect pass for the unmarked Munawa inside the penalty box.

The midfielder directed his header wide with only Philip Nhete to beat.

Prince Dube was another culprit when he directed a cross wide of goal.

Two minutes later it was Gahadzikwa, who fluffed another chance.

Gahadzikwa made a beautiful solo run and exchanged passes with Dube before heading wide.

Highlanders finally broke the deadlock in the fourth minute of added time in the first period when Sako beat his own keeper after failing to deal with Dube’s hard and low cross.

City did not take long to equalise in the second period when Murimba scored in the 47th minute.

Moyo lost possession inside the Highlanders half and Collen Muzavazi capitalised before sending in a through ball for Murimba.

The forward calmly sneaked the ball under the arm of a diving Sibanda to bring his team level.

Despite conceding the equaliser, Bosso kept on pushing for the winner and were rewarded 11 minutes before the end when veteran striker Matema scored the winner.

It was a good team goal involving Tendai Ngulube, Erick Mudzingwa, Munawa, Kutsanzira and Dube.

All Matema had to do was to tap into the net from a Dube assist after the Magusha defence had been curved open.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.