Glen View murder case ruling delayed

HARARE - High Court’s ruling on seven political activists, including MDC members, accused of murdering police inspector Petros Mutedza in Harare’s Glen View suburb in May 2011 has been postponed to a later date.

The ruling was expected this week.

The accused are represented by Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights board chairperson Beatrice Mtetwa, who told the Daily News yesterday that the presiding judge Chinembiri Bhunu indicated that the judgment was not yet ready.

“He (Bhunu) said he would know by Monday when it would be ready,” she said, adding that the matter had been initially slated for Wednesday, before the postponement.

Tungamirai Madzokere, Last Maengahama, Yvonne Musarurwa, Paul Rukanda, Lazarus Maengehama, Edwin Muingiri and Phineas Nhatarikwa were put to their defence, after the then High Court Judge Chinembiri Bhunu, who is now a Supreme Court judge, acquitted 21 others in September 2013.

One of the suspects, Rebecca Mafikeni died while in custody.

The case was last heard in 2014 when the seven were put to their defence.

They denied any knowledge of the person who killed Mutedza, accusing the police of failing to investigate the matter but targeting them because they were political activists.

According to State papers, the suspects were all charged with murder or alternatively public violence as defined in Sections 47 and 36 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act.

Last Maengahama, Madzokere and Musarurwa were only granted bail in January 2014, after spending nearly two years in remand prison.

The trio had been in custody since March 2012, after they were indicted for their trial at the High Court.

The State alleged that the group murdered Mutedza after he went to Glen View 3 as part of a team that was assigned to disperse a group of MDC supporters who were braaing and drinking alcohol.

The residents allegedly started shouting and began throwing stones, empty bottles, steel stool frames and other missiles at the police.

According to court papers, the police were out-numbered by the group and Mutedza rushed to a Nissan Hardbody which he mistakenly identified as a police vehicle.

He was hit by a brick on the left side of his head and fell down, the State said.

The group allegedly kicked him until he became unconscious. He was rushed to Harare Central Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Comments (1)

Justice delayed is justice denied.please give accused the social right they deserve.since 2011, their case is still outstanding.Then who is better than the other between Smith regime and present regime .My surmise is almost the same with yours.kkkkkkkkk

MATINYANYA - 3 September 2016

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.