Tsholotsho lose again

BULAWAYO - Resurgent ZPC Kariba moved into third place on the log following their hard-fought 2-1 victory over troubled Tsholotsho in a Castle Lager Premiership match at Luveve Stadium Saturday.

ZPC, who finished the match a man down following defender Thomas Sweswe’s red card, scored in the first half through Timire Mamvura after only four minutes and defender Lincoln Zvasiya nine minutes before the break.

Sunday Chidzambwa’s side is now on 34 points and now trail log leaders FC Platinum by nine points while Tsholotsho are in danger of going down as they are just one place off the bottom of the log with 13 points.

After the match, Chidzambwa admitted his side had to dig deep for maximum points following Sweswe’s sending off for using foul language against referee Allan Bhasvi nine minutes from full time.

“This is one match I would like to quickly forget because of the way we played. We were very shaky,” Chidzambwa said.

“We were lucky to score two goals in the first half. Tsholotsho played well; they were unlucky not to get a point. There is no bad win but we were lucky to collect maximum points today.”

His opposite number, Lizwe Sweswe, was a disappointed man.

“My attackers lacked maturity. ZPC is a good team. It’s unfortunate we created chances but we failed to use them,” he said.

“We lost four or five players who were carrying the team during the transfer window. It’s really difficult for us but I believe we can survive relegation.

“We still have 27 points to fight for. If we avoid losing many games I’m confident we will survive.”

All is not well in the Tsholotsho camp as the players seem to lack motivation as they are reported to have gone for some time without receiving salaries.

It was no surprise when the visitors took an early lead when Mamvura finished a rebound after the Tsholotsho defence failed to properly deal with a cross inside their box.

The ZPC midfielder unleashed a scorcher to beat the diving Tsholotsho keeper Godknows Saungweme.

ZPC were in total control of the match as they went on to create numerous scoring chances.

The visitors would increase their lead towards the break when Zvasiya rose high inside the box to head home a corner kick from Never Tigere.

Mustafa Ponyera almost pulled a goal back for the home side when his free-kick brought the best from ZPC keeper Tendai Hove, who tipped the effort for a corner two minutes before halftime.

Moments later, Denford Chirwa scored for the home side when he headed home from a corner right on the halftime whistle.

The second half was evenly-balanced with both teams creating some scoring opportunities but they could not find the back of the net.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.