Bosso win at last

BULAWAYO - Highlanders finally remembered how to win after outclassing 10-man How Mine 2-0 here Sunday to end their six-match winless run in the Castle Lager Premiership.

Bosso had lost four matches and drew two on the trot as they went through a rough patch of form that saw them lose ground on log leaders FC Platinum.

Yesterday, goals from Erick Mudzingwa and new signing Allan Gahadzikwa saw Bosso move to 35 points and now trail the platinum miners by eight points with nine games before the season comes to an end.

Highlanders’ last match at Barbourfields had ended in violence following their draw with defending champions Chicken Inn but there was no repeat of those ugly scenes yesterday.

From the first whistle, it was How Mine who dominated possession as they threatened to extend the home side’s poor run.

To their credit, the Highlanders defence held their own as they repelled all the gold miners’ attacks.

How Mine were punished for their failure to turn possession into goals when, against the run of play, Bosso were awarded a penalty in the 33rd minute.

Winger Rahman Kutsanzira was brought down in the box by a How Mine defender and referee Nduna Nkosana pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Mudzingwa who sent the gold miners’ goalie Donovan Bernard the wrong way.

From there on, Bosso took control of the game as they began to play with a spring in their step knowing they had taken the lead. 

On the stroke of halftime, Gahadzikwa wasted a good chance to increase the home side’s tally after he skied his effort in front of a yawning goal with Bernard a beaten man.

However, the former FC Platinum and CAPS United midfielder corrected his mistake moments later when he grabbed Bosso’s second in first half added time.

Kutsanzira sent in a cross into the How Mine box which was headed by Tendai Ndlovu and Gahadzikwa applied the finishing touch to beat Bernard.

After the breather, How Mine came back fully charged as they fought to reduce the arrears but the Bosso defence was unyielding.

The gold miners’ task of clawing back into the match was made harder by the sending off of substitute Timothy January for using foul language against the match officials.

January, who had replaced Heritein Masuku in the 56th minute, lasted only seven minutes on the pitch before his marching orders.

Despite being one man down, How Mine played impressive football with Pasca Manhanga taking the game to the home side.

As things got heated up, Bosso assistant coach Amini Soma-Phiri was sent off after an exchange of harsh words with the fourth official.

In the end, there were no more goals in the second period.

After the match, How Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu said: “In the first half, our approach was a bit casual if you look at the way we played in the middle, we thought we could just walk in the park.

“We gave away a soft ball in the second half. We were far much better creating chances, we dominated play. We looked the better side when we were a man down but unfortunately, we could not get a breakthrough.”

His opposite number Erol Akbay was a pleased man.

“The most important thing was the three points, which we got. We did a very good job today.

“Both teams played good football but in the end Highlanders won,” Akbay said.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.