Shock loss dents CAPS title hopes

BULAWAYO - CAPS United suffered a major blow in their quest to dislodge FC Platinum from the top of the Castle Premier League after being thumped 3-1 by Bulawayo City at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

After holding Dynamos to a 1-1 draw last week, Bulawayo City, who are without a permanent coach following the suspension of Philani Ncube a fortnight ago over match-fixing allegations, were once again party poopers.

The Green Machine struggled to contain Amakhosi from the onset and one could have been forgiven to assume that Lloyd Chitembwe’s charges were actually fighting relegation rather than for the championship.

Bulawayo City showed their intent from early on and it was not a surprise when they surged ahead in the seventh minute with a Mkukhuli Moyo cool finish.

Trevor Ndlovu doubled City’s lead moments before the break before completing his brace in the 66th minute to condemn the Green Machine to one of their worst defeats this season.

Midfielder Devon Chafa scored a late consolation but the damage was already done as CAPS United saw the gap between them and log leaders FC Platinum increase to five.

Bulawayo City’s interim coach Try Ncube praised his charges for a job well done.

“It was a tough match but we got our tactics right at the end of the day. We really wanted the three points. We knew they were going to come at us and our tactic was speed and pace whenever we had the ball. We were also pressing high hence we got two goals,” Ncube said after the match.

City showed their intention as early as the first minute when Moyo fluffed a good scoring opportunity after directing his effort from just inside the box wide.

He, however, got it right six minutes later when he got to the end of a Xolisani Moyo fine pass to beat the badly-exposed United goalkeeper Edmore Sibanda.

Powered by the goal, City went on to dominate before creating a couple of scoring chances.  

City dominated play in midfield leaving CAPS to rely on long balls. CAPS had a chance to equalise on 40 minutes after some good work by Joel Ngodzo but he was, however, let down by the strikers.

Instead, it was Bulawayo City who went on to double their lead after Ndlovu tapped in a Welcome Ndiweni square ball following some good interchange of passes on the right side. 

City kept on pressing after the break and a Kevin Madzongwe goal on 56 minutes was disallowed for offside.

Ndlovu then completed his brace on 65th minutes when he capitalised on some sloppy defending by CAPS United.

CAPS had also some good opportunities to find the target but their strikers led by veteran Leonard Tsipa were wasteful in front of goal. It was Chafa who scored United’s consolation at the stroke of full time.

CAPS assistant coach Mark Mathe was not happy with his team’s performance.

“We are not really happy with our performance today,” Mathe said after the match.

“We are really worried especially on the number of goals we conceded today. First half we were not playing well and in the second half we played better but we failed to utilise the chances we created.

“The overall performance was not good today.”

Meanwhile, 10-man Chicken Inn beat Tsholotsho 1-0 at Luveve Stadium yesterday.

Midfielder Thabani Goredema scored the solitary strike to hand Rahman Gumbo’s charges maximum points.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.