Murder, robbery suspect nabbed

HARARE - Police successfully traced a murder and armed robbery suspect who had been on the run for five years after he made his latest attack on Wiltshire Explosives in Bindura early this month.

In 2010, Farai Fundi, 35, of Mozambican origin, fled after setting explosives on a Shamva Mine security guard in a bid to steal gold ore.

He appeared before magistrate Tendai Mahwe facing murder and armed robbery charges that emanate from an incident on August 6 this year.

He was remanded in custody and advised to apply for bail at the High Court because the charges are third schedule.

Prosecutor Peter Kachirika alleged that on April 4, 2010 Fundi teamed up with Sunganai Fundi, Norest Givemore Komore, Shephered Chimoyo, Tedius Gwaze, Shadreck Chimoyo and Shepen Chimango who are still at large.

They proceeded to Shamva Mine intending to steal gold ore and went down to level 13 where they gathered the ore.

The court heard that Tinos Muchingauta (now deceased) who was manning the premises and other security guards became aware of the robbery and confronted Fundi and his accomplices.

The security guards ordered the gang to lie down and surrender the loot but they refused and began throwing stones at Machingauta and other security guards.

The court heard that when the security guards realised that they were failing to contain the situation, Machingauta fired gun shots at the gang.

It was alleged that was when Fundi and his accomplices ignited explosives and threw them at Machingauta.

There was a huge explosion and Fundi and his accomplices took advantage of the commotion and managed to flee from the scene.

Machingauta died on the spot.

It was further alleged that on August 6 this year, Fundi and his accomplices proceeded to Wiltshire Explosives armed with pistols and knives.

When they arrived they posed as customers and approached the complainant Jairos Chasakala the security guard.

One of the accused persons threatened Chasakala with a pistol and demanded keys to the magazine house but he refused.

The court heard that one of the

accused persons then stabbed Chasakala several times with an okapi knife before manhandling him.

They searched for the keys to the magazine house and opened the room and locked Chasakala inside.

Fundi and his accomplices then looted 12 boxes of capes fuses, 1 850 by 0,9 metres caped fuses, 30 reels of igniter cords measuring 1 500 metres and a Noringo pistol loaded with six rounds.

When police attended the scene they later interviewed Jairos who indicated that he could identify one of the accused persons by an amputated left hand fore-finger.

The description matched Fundi and he was traced before being arrested on Tuesday.

According to court records Jairos is still admitted in hospital.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.