Rushwaya trial date set

HARARE - A trial date has been set in the case of former Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) bosses who are accused of attempting to bribe the national soccer team into deliberately losing games in a match-fixing scandal.

Ex-Zifa chief executive Henrietta Rushwaya, 49, and former board members Edzai Kasinauyo and ex-Warriors assistant coach Nation Dube are being charged with bribery.

Their trial will commence before Harare regional magistrate Hosea Mujaya on September 7.

The complainant in the case is Zifa.

Prosecutor Sabastian Mutizirwa alleged that between January and February this year, Rushwaya, acting in cahoots with Kasinauyo, Ian Gorowa, and Dube engaged in match-fixing targeting the South African Premier League matches.

Rushwaya and her team, together with Leeroy Kundishona Waguta, who turned out to be the whistle-blower, were acting in connivance with Chan Sankaran — a popular Asian match-fixer.

Sankaran was also the financier.

In February, the accused persons agreed to fix the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers between Swaziland and Zimbabwe scheduled for March 25 and 28 in Mbambane and Harare respectively.

They then agreed to offer bribes to Zimbabwe national soccer team players for them to lose the games.

The court heard that they agreed to implement their plan after the announcement of the list of players who were going to play against Swaziland.

Kasinauyo was tasked to put pressure on Kalisto Pasuwa to prematurely announce the list of players.

In the event that Pasuwa had refused to cooperate, Dube would leak the list to the syndicate.

The court heard that Waguta then alerted the coach of the plot to bribe the players and fix matches.

However, Pasuwa delayed announcing the list and the accused persons identified Tatenda Mkuruva as the probable goalkeeper.

Former national soccer team coach Gorowa was roped in to phone Mkuruva and invite him to South Africa on the misrepresentation that he wanted him for trials.

Mkuruva then informed Pasuwa about the call.

Pasuwa continued receiving pressure from Waguta and Kasinauyo to release the list and ended up informing Zifa president Philip Chiyangwa.

On March 10, then Zifa chief executive Jonathan Mashingaidze reported the case to the police, leading to the syndicate’s arrest.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.