Pressure mounts on Venezuela president

CARACAS - Venezuela's National Electoral Council (CNE) has announced its approval of the first step in an opposition campaign to recall President Nicolas Maduro.

It said the opposition had succeeded in gathering 1% of voter signatures in all 24 of Venezuela's states.

The move is the first part of the opposition's push for an early end to President Maduro's term in office.

In a further twist, the Supreme Court declared the parliament in contempt for swearing in three opposition delegates.

The three delegates were elected last year but the Supreme Court had barred them from taking up their seats over alleged irregularities in the 6 December poll.

The National Assembly, which is controlled by the opposition, swore them in last week arguing that in the months since they were barred, the investigation had stalled and they were innocent until proven guilty.

But on Monday the Supreme Court warned that all decisions taken by the assembly would be null and void until the three stood down.

The opposition says the court is stacked with government loyalists intent on preventing the opposition from exerting its power in the National Assembly.

Venezuela's political and economic crisis has deeply divided the country. Shortages of basic goods are widespread, as is looting.

The inflation rate is one of the highest in the world and there are long queues outside shops.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.