Eddie Kebab case postponed

HARARE - A Harare regional magistrate yesterday postponed an $85 000 theft trial involving businessman Eddie Kebab after a State witness could not be located to testify.

Kebab whose real name is Eddie Zviitwa is jointly charged with Keagan Paul Blumears, Taurai Makata, Obey Chakacha and Tinashe Hakunavanhu before magistrate Hosea Mujaya.

Zviitwa is represented by Rekai Maphosa, Keagan — who is the first accused person — is represented by Admire Rubaya while Makata, Hakunavanhu and Chakacha are represented by Bevin Bopoto.

Prosecutor Ephraim Zinyandu told the court that efforts to summon one Tonderai Moses Chakacha had been fruitless.

“The investigating officer has tried everything he can to contact our witness but to no avail.

“State will undertake to subpoena the witness for trial on the next date,”Zinyandu said before the case was remanded to August 2.

Zinyandu has led evidence from the victim Taglan Hovsep and Luca Fabris — the owner of the money.

It was alleged that Hovsep had been lured to a Mount Pleasant house on the promise of buying a Hyundai excavator.

On March 29 this year Hovsep went to Blumears with bagful of cash, with a view of buying the heavy machine, which was alleged to be coming from a friend’s mine.

He was told that the person to deliver the excavator would arrive in 40 minutes and, thus he waited.

Upon leaving the house in about three hours, Hovsep was set up by three unidentified men who were driving a golden E-Class Mercedes Benz and purporting to be policemen on a drug bust.

One of the bogus cops, it was heard, produced an identity card with a Zimbabwean flag on the corner and claimed that he was a CID detective.

They claimed that Hovsep was wanted by Interpol and after which he was allegedly handcuffed, and ordered to remain silent while they searched his car and took the cash.

The gang also allegedly planted a certain amount of capsules in Hovsep’s bag before Kebab arrived at the scene and claimed he was going to ‘sort things out’.

Kebab also claimed that he would make sure Hovsep would not be deported after liaising with the purported detectives.

Kebab allegedly left with the bogus cops and allegedly took $85 000, an Iphone, Samsung C4 and wallet, and promised that he would talk to the “CID boss”, and negotiate for a return of the bag of cash.

The court heard that Kebab later returned with an empty bag and two cellphones alleging that the money had been taken by the “police boss” at a house in Mount Pleasant.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.