Bosso miss out

MUTARE - Woeful Highlanders missed a chance to go back to the top of the Castle Lager Premiership log when they were held to a goalless draw by struggling Mutare City Rovers yesterday.

A win for Erol Akbay’s side would have seen them climb to the summit of the log with 29 points but now they only move one place up to second with 27 points.

The Bulawayo giants have now gone two games without scoring after they lost 2-0 to defending champions Chicken Inn in their last match.

Akbay conceded that his charges were pathetic yesterday and if they are to repeat such a performance in their next game against CAPS United at home this weekend, they will be slaughtered.

“If you don’t fight enough for the ball then you won’t win. Every second ball was going to the opposition...our possession play was bad,” Akbay said.

“It was a very, very bad game...we are however, still at the top three but if we play like this against CAPS United they will kill us.”

Bosso were actually lucky to return to Bulawayo with a point because City had what looked like a good Stephen Sibanda headed goal disallowed for offside after referee Jimmy Makwanda concurred with his assistant Varaidzo Mushonga.

The match was a tale of two halves with Highlanders dominating the early exchanges but their blunt strike force continued to give Magusha reason to believe.

Although Mutare City felt robbed their coach Taku Shariwa considered the draw as a morale booster as they emerged from a 1-2 home loss to FC Platinum last weekend.

“A point will suffice for us considering that Highlanders are a big team and have been playing well of late. It boosts our confidence as we are coming from a defeat,” Shariwa said.

This was Magusha’s first draw this season and it took their points tally to 10 but they remain stagnant on 14th position.

Highlanders threatened from the very first minute with Mutare City shot stopper Phillip Nhete being asked questions within seconds.

Moments later, Magusha could have found an early goal when Fredrick Muza was sent through by an on fire Sibanda only to shoot straight at Ariel Sibanda.

Bosso continued to bombard their hosts’ goal but Gabriel Nyoni, Prince Dube, Bruce Kangwa and Simon Munawa took turns to fluff their lines.

The second half however, belonged to the less-fancied home side with Sibanda stealing the ball from Muza’s head in the early exchanges of the second period.

Sibanda was to again miss a seater in the 53rd minute after the Highlanders’ defence had been pried open.

In response, Kangwa stung Nhete’s palms with a snap shot in the 63rd minute as the visitors created their first clear chance of the second period.

Ralph Matema then from close range bundled his shot over six minutes later.

As the match headed for fulltime, Sibanda thought he had given his side all three points when he headed home the disallowed goal.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.