Harare City thrash Hwange

HARARE - Harare City bounced back from last week’s morale-sapping defeat to CAPS United with an emphatic victory over visiting Hwange in a Castle Lager Premiership match here yesterday.

New signing Raphael Manuvire was the star of the show, grabbing a brace and setting up two goals to ease up pressure on coach Taurai Mangwiro.

Yesterday’s victory was City’s second of the season and after the game, the Sunshine Boys’ coach Mangwiro admitted that it was the impetus they needed going into next week’s potential banana skin tie against log leaders FC Platinum who clash with Ngezi Platinum Stars tomorrow at Baobab Stadium.

“There was a lot of talk when we lost to CAPS United last week. But I am glad we responded with this kind of performance. We need to take positives from this game into next week’s game against FC Platinum. We haven’t been performing well away from home so we need to prepare for that game,” he said.

“We have areas where we would want to correct. Last week, against CAPS we conceded just before half time. Today again we conceded a silly goal right at the death of the game. So I think we need to work on our concentration. Otherwise I am happy with the performance of the boys.”

Mangwiro made five changes to the side that lost 2-1 to CAPS United last weekend, bringing in Jimmy Tigere for Raymond Uchena and Blessing Moyo for Munyaradzi Diro-Nyenye in defence.

Speedy forward Martin Vengesai came into the side for Ronald Chitiyo while debutant striker Grey Kufandada, who was signed by the Sunshine Boys from Eastern Region Division One side Mutoko Traders, came in for the injured Honey Chimutimunzeve.

Maxwell Nyamupanedengu was sacrificed for Tafadzwa Dube in goals for City.

Manuvire broke the deadlock in the 18th minute after Hwange failed to clear their lines leaving the former ZPC Kariba man with the easiest of the task to poke home from close range.

City would go on to dominate the opening half, launching a number of raids in the Hwange half but could not find a way through as the home side went to the breather a goal to the good.

Mangwiro’s side buoyed by their slender lead came back in the second half a rejuvenated team and took the game to the visitors.

Fullback Edwin Madhanaga was released wide on the left by Manuvire and sent in a cross for Kufandada who almost knocked in at the far post but his attempt was smothered out for a corner by Hwange keeper Future Sibanda.

From the resultant corner, Hwange failed to clear their lines and Manuvire teed-up Samanja who scored City’s second with a screamer from outside the box.

Winger William Manondo killed off any hopes of a Hwange comeback when he scored City’s third goal in the 78th minute.

The Warriors winger won possession in the centre and exchanged passes with Manuvire — who laid him the ball on the run to beat Hwange goalie Sibanda on his near side.

Moments later Manuvire added to the visiting sides’ woes when he finished off a swift counter attack.

Right on the death of the match, City keeper Dube gifted the coal-miners a consolation goal when his poor goalkick was volleyed home by Hwange winger Gift Mbweti.

Hwange coach Mebelo Njekwa accepted defeat after the match blaming his defenders for losing concentration at crucial moments of the game.

“We had hoped to build on our win from last week. We made a lot of careless mistakes and we paid for that,” he said.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.