Fair Cosafa draw for Pasuwa's Warriors

HARARE - The Warriors were on Thursday night drawn in a relatively fair Group A of the first round of the 2016 Cosafa Castle Cup.

Zimbabwe will face Swaziland, Madagascar and Seychelles for the tournament set for Namibia in June.

Kalisto Pasuwa’s side must top the group in order to reach the quarter-finals of the competition where they will face old nemesis Zambia.

The Warriors and Chipolopolo are the most successful nations in the Cosafa Cup having won the trophy four times each.

Zimbabwe’s last success in the competition, however, came way back in 2009 when they hosted the tournament.

The Warriors failed to get past the first round during last year’s edition of the tournament held in South Africa.

Cosafa Castle Cup organising committee chairperson Timothy Shongwe said: “There are some hugely exciting matches for fans from all across the Cosafa region to enjoy and I know it is going to be a fantastic tournament in Namibia, which is a wonderful host country.

“Our goal, as always, is to help develop the future stars of tomorrow and showcase the talent that exists within the Southern African region. The 2016 Cosafa Castle Cup has the potential to be the best yet and the draw has only added to the sense of anticipation ahead of the tournament.”

Namibia will be hosting the event for the first time and do so as holders, with Windhoek set to stage the matches across two venues.

“We are delighted to be hosting the Cosafa Castle Cup for the first time and being able to bring a tournament of this stature to the doorstep of the people of Namibia. We hosted a successful African Women’s Championship in 2014 and for us this is the next step in showing that Namibia is capable of hosting major tournaments,” Namibia Football Association secretary-general Barry Rukoro said.

“We look forward to welcoming the 13 other competing nations, and, of course, to defending the trophy we won in South Africa 12 months ago.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.