Silva feels the heat

HARARE - Dynamos coach Paulo Jorge Silva refused to talk to the media after his side’s defeat to Chicken Inn during the Independence Cup semi-final match here yesterday as pressure mounts on the Portuguese gaffer.

The Gamecocks scored the only goal of the match through striker Mitchell Katsvairo at the stroke of half-time and it was enough to extend DeMbare’s winless streak to three games in all competitions.

DeMbare began the season with a 3-0 away defeat to Chicken Inn at the start of the month before last weekend’s 0-0 draw with Triangle.

Yesterday’s result meant Dynamos are yet to score a goal this season as their forward lines is struggling to find their radar.

After the match, not even the intervention of Zifa spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela could persuade Silva to conduct his post-match media duties as he stormed off after speaking with ZBC TV only.

“I don’t talk to the media I have already spoken to the television people,” Silva said as he headed for the changing room.

It was left to team manager Richard Chihoro to field questions from the media.

“We played well in the first half; we created a lot of chances but couldn’t bury them and my observation after 15 minutes in the second half was that our players were tired,” Chihoro said.

“I think they gave their all in the first half. Everything is fine in the team but what I can promise is that we will pick up the pieces from our next match against Mutare going forward. I’m confident that we will start to win from this game onwards.”

Silva has been in the media for all the wrong reasons since taking charge of the Glamour Boys at the start of the year.

The Portuguese has had running battles with almost everyone from journalists, his assistants and PHD leader Walter Magaya in his short spell at DeMbare.

Silva’s tantrums have seen him clash heavily with DeMbare goalkeepers coach Gift “Umbro” Muzadzi, who was relieved of his duties last week.     

Meanwhile, Chicken Inn coach Joey Antipas was pleased with his side’s second half display as they booked a final date with Bulawayo giants Highlanders at the National Sports Stadium on Monday.

“It was a difficult game and a tense affair being a semi-final. I thought we didn’t play our normal game, we struggled a bit in the first half but the goal came at the right time and we picked up the pieces in the second half where we started playing the football that we know,” Antipas said.

“I thought we came up with a solid defensive play which is crucial in these types of games and would look to give credit to all the players for putting up a good show.

“Dynamos played into our hands playing the long ball and we won every ball they played and picked up the second ball and at the end of it all it was a good victory and it’s good to be in the final, we will fight for it.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.