Mighty Warriors players get $50 each

HARARE - Welfare problems for Zimbabwe senior women’s national team continue to hog the limelight after the players only received $50 each for qualifying for the 2016 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations finals to be held in Cameroon.

The players as of last night were still holed up at the Zifa Village in Mt Hampden following last Sunday’s 3-2 win over Zambia in Lusaka.  

The team was expected to break camp yesterday before regrouping again next week for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games preparations.

The Mighty warriors plight came to the surface yesterday during a tour of the Zifa Village by the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Sports.

Committee’s stand in chairperson Oliver Mandipaka implored the Zifa leadership represented by vice president Omega Sibanda and CEO Jonathan Mashingaidze to ensure the team was well-catered for.

After their tour of the facility, the legislators refused to eat the lunch they had been prepared for by Zifa in solidarity with the Mighty Warriors. 

During a private discussion with the players, the Members of Parliament heard that the female footballers were only eating two slices of bread for breakfast.

The players had also last seen Zifa officials on Monday night during the organised dinner hosted by Sports minister Makhosini Hlongwane upon their return from Zambia.

Mandipaka said the parliamentarians would take up the Mighty Warriors concerns with the relevant government authorities.   

“We are not on a witch-hunt or fault-finding mission. We want to find out ways and means by which Parliament either by legislation can offer assistance and make recommendations to the ministry concerned to say that these are the challenges that our teams face,” he said.

“Don’t intimidate them or frighten them, they are young girls they want you to make sure that you provide a conducive environment so that they continue to do us proud.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.