Tarumbwa double sinks DeMbare

BULAWAYO - Defending champions Chicken Inn began their 2016 Castle Lager Premiership season in style when they mercilessly thrashed 10-man Dynamos 3-0 on Saturday.

Before the match, Gamecocks coach Joey Antipas had warned the rest of the top flights clubs that his side would do their best to hang onto the title they won last season.

Chicken Inn chose yesterday’s opening match against the record Zimbabwe champions to make their intentions clear that it would not be easy to dispose their crown.

Former Highlanders and Bantu Rover forward Obadiah Tarumbwa scored a second half brace while midfielder Tafadzwa Kutinyu added the third as the Glamour Boys’ defence was shredded to pieces.

DeMbare had done well to contain the Gamecocks but new Portuguese coach Paulo Jorge Silva’s plans were thrown out the window when forward Richard Kawondera was needless shown a second yellow card.

The former Triangle forward had received his first booking from referee Thomas Masa in the first half for a foul on home side defender Moses Jackson.

With an hour gone, Kawondera kicked the ball in the nets way after Masa had blown his whistle for a foul on Gamecocks keeper Elvis Chipezeze.

After the red card, Dynamos lost their shape as they could not cope with the Gamecocks attacks.

A minute after the sending off, the Gamecocks took the lead when Edmore Chirambadare sent in a cross into the box which Tarumbwa struck first time.

The ball took a wicked deflection of defender Ocean Mushure to wrong foot DeMbare keeper Tatenda Mkuruva. 

A minute later, Mkuruva failed to deal with a low cross Mitchell Katsvairo and the ricochet fell to Chirambadare, whose shot was blocked by Elisha Muroiwa.

Unluckily for Dynamos, the rebound fell to an unmarked Turumbwa who simply side footed home for his brace.

Silva responded by separately pulling out midfielders Stephan Alimenda and Walter Mukanga bringing on Tichaona Chipunza and Dominic Mukandi.

The duo could not change much as Chicken Inn were enjoying the numerical advantage and it was no surprise when Kutinyu increased the lead after 74 minutes.

Full back Passmore Bernard sent in a cross from the right and Kutinyu, who was unmarked inside the box, produced a shot on the volley which beat Mkuruva.

After the match, Antipas was pleased with the way his side had applied themselves.

“It’s good we didn’t concede, I have to give my boys a good credit for good work,” he said.

“The first half we played a cautious game approach and it didn’t work for us. We then came back with a different game plan to press them high and it really paid.”

Silva was disappointed his side failed to utilise their first half advantage when they were in control of the game.

“The match has two parts in the first half we became the boss of the game, my boys gave everything we got some god opportunities,” Silva said.

“In the second half the team started well but one of my players was sacked and I remained with ten and you know Chicken Inn is a good team.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.