Bulawayo City in spirited comeback

BULAWAYO - Premier Soccer League debutants Bulawayo City proved they will be no pushovers after rallying from behind to draw 2-2 with 10-man How Mine in the first match of the 2016 Castle Lager Premiership season on Friday.

How Mine looked like they would steamroll past the newcomers after racing into an early 2-0 lead inside the first half.

Former Triangle midfielder Pasca Manhanga opened the scoring with a first time shot from inside the box after he connected a shot corner kick from Adolf Muganyi halfway through the first period.

Manhanga’s rising shot beat City goalkeeper Ndodana Sibanda at his near post as the gold miners took control of the game.

Three minutes later, new How Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu was celebrating again when his side increased their lead after a fine strike from Charles Sibanda.

The former Highlanders forward was teed up by Kuda Musharu and produced a fine low shot from outside the box.

For a moment, it looked like Amakhosi were in for a long and painful afternoon as How Mine continued to threaten Sibanda’s goal.

However, all of the gold miners’ good work in the opening period was undone shortly before halftime when towering defender Victor Kamhuka pulled down City forward Mkhululi Moyo inside the box.

Referee Philani Ncube awarded the home side a penalty kick and correctly sent off Kamhuka since he was the last man.

City striker Xolisani Moyo sent How Mine keeper Munyaradzi Diya the wrong way from the spot, to begin his side’s revival.

At the start of the second half, Kaindu pulled out midfielder Tawanda Muparati for defender Marshal Machazane to protect his fortress.

On the other hand, City coach Philani “Beefy” Ncube made a double substitution pulling out veteran striker Mkhokheli Dube and Morris Kadzola for wide midfielders Trevour Ndlovu and Humphrey Ncube.

The move seemed to have worked as six minutes after the restart, City were back on level terms through their substitute Ncube.

Lewis Ncube delivered a beautiful cross into the box that found the unmarked Humprey whose whose first attempt at goal was blocked by Diya.

The rebound fell kindly to him and he used his chest to prod the ball home.

City, however, failed to use their numerical advantage as they could not get the winning goal in the remainder of the match.

After the game, Kaindu was disappointed with the referee’s decision to award City the spot kick.

“We were leading comfortably but from where I was standing I felt it was a bit harsh for us to concede a penalty and at the same time get a red card,” he said.

“Because it was a fifty-fifty situation the player just went down so the decision was a bit harsh but we are not disappointed to come up with a point in a game where we feel it was not balanced in terms of how decisions were made.’

City coach Beefy Ncube said he was happy with the response made by his players despite initially going 2-0 down.

“We didn’t know what to expect hence we conceded two soft goals but when we went to the dressing room we said we need character.

“Luckily we got a goal which inspired us,” he said.

“What we wanted was to come back and match them man for man of which we did and with lady luck we could have won.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.