Harare City seek to overturn deficit

HARARE - Harare City will go into the second leg of the African Confederation Cup tie against Zambian side Zanaco facing an uphill task to overturn a 2-1 first leg deficit.

The Sunshine Boys will have to score two unanswered goals in Lusaka on Sunday if they entertain any hopes of reaching the final qualifying round where they will face either Malian side AS Bakaridjan or AS Kaloum Star of Guinea or Stade Gabesien of Tunisia.

However, City coach Taurai Mangwiro refuses to believe they are out of the competition and remains positive they can overturn the result when they travel to Lusaka.

“We know that we have a very difficult assignment ahead of us, but difficult is not impossible,” Mangwiro told the Daily News yesterday.

“The match requires full effort from all departments. The players should remain confident because we can match our opponents and record a good result.

“We will keep on working hard on our shortcomings and hopefully we will do well.”

The former CAPS United gaffer said the fact they conceded two goals should not be construed to mean they were outplayed by the Bankers.

“They are a very solid team and they are particularly gifted on the technical front. However, they have weaknesses which we can capitalise on and win,” Mangwiro said.

“The only reason they beat us in the first leg is they made better use of their chances while my team was a bit wasteful.”

City will once again be without giant striker Francesco Zekumbawira for the second leg.

The former Dynamos forward’s absence was certainly felt last Saturday as City never really threatened Zanaco’s goal.

Zekumbawira was instrumental in the preliminary round against AS Adema of Madagascar forming a solid partnership upfront with Kuda Kumwala that enabled them to cruise to a 6-3 aggregate win.

Mangwiro also revealed that Jimmy Tigere who missed the first leg has started light training.

Against Zanaco, the Sunshine Boys played second fiddle to the Zambians as they were outclassed in almost all departments.

Zanaco opened the scoring 10 minutes before the break through Aubrey Funga before Rodrick Kabwe made it 2-0 with a well-taken free kick seven minutes from full time.

City gave themselves something to fight for in the second leg when Ronald Ruzvidzo scored a consolation late goal in added time.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.