HARARE - Zanu PF cancelled a fund-raising musical gala for President Robert Mugabe’s 92nd birthday celebrations due to poor planning by the organisers.
The gala, that was scheduled to take place at the Harare International Conference Centre (HICC) on February 12, was being organised by the Zanu PF youth league.
Zanu PF secretary for youth Pupurai Togarepi refused to comment on the aborted concert.
“I was not part of the organising team hence I am not the right person to comment,” said Togarepi.
Well-placed sources told the Daily News that the ruling party was forced to pull the plug on the gig after it became apparent that it was doomed to flop.
One of the sources, who declined to be identified, said the majority of the artistes that the organisers claimed would perform at the event — including Suluman Chimbetu — were not even aware of the concert.
Suluman was not immediately available to comment on the matter but his publicist Joe Nyamungoma said he had no knowledge of the gig.
“I was not aware of this musical gala,” said Nyamungoma.
Veteran organiser of State musical galas — Retired Major Anywhere Mutambudzi, who is director of Urban Communications in the ministry of Information, Media and Broadcasting Services, was also not privy to the abandoned Zanu PF musical gala.
“The State was not aware of such a musical gala but we were happy that some people were being innovative in trying to organise such high profile gigs. Everyone is allowed to use President Robert Mugabe’s name in good and transparent projects,” said Mutambudzi.
Initially, Patson Chimbodza of Chipaz Promotions had been tasked to organise the music gala on February 6 but lack of resources led to the postponement of gig.