I will retain Mr Ugly title: Masvinu

HARARE - Reigning Mr Ugly William Masvinu, who will defend his title at the City Sports Bar on Friday, says the pageant will remain his domain for years to come.

Masvinu will defend his title as “Zimbabwe’s ugliest man” against 13 contestants most of whom are new to the pageant.

“I will definitely retain the Mr Ugly title on Friday. I believe that the organisers of the contest were inspired by me to come up with the competition and as such I am confident I will extend my dominance,” Masvinu told the Daily News.

Masvinu’s personal manager, Miehael Gundo, is also confident that his charge will once again retain the Mr Ugly title for the third time.

“He (Masvinu) convincingly won the Mr Ugly semi-finals held in Mbare and because of that on Friday I am very sure that it will be a walkover for him,” said Gundo.

City Sports Bar proprietor Biggie Chinoperekwei told the Daily News that he is delighted to be hosting the pageant a fortnight after re-opening the Kopje entertainment joint.

City Sports Bar was temporarily closed two months ago as part of plans to give it a modern look.

“City Sports Bar underwent major renovations and The Mr Ugly pageant is among the high-profile events we have lined up at our new-look venue,” Chinoperekwei said.

The award-winning music promoter said the contest failed to take place last year due to lack of funding.

Defending champion Masvinu first won the Mr Ugly title in 2012 and he managed to reclaim it a year later.

Unlike the last edition, this year’s event will only be confined to Harare.

“This year, we are not moving around provinces scouting for potential winners due to financial constraints but we have invited interested people to come forward and participate.

“Hopefully, other sponsors will also come forward to partner us for the benefit of the pageant,” said the City Sports Bar proprietor.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.