Chiyangwa camp to appeal Juul clearance

HARARE - The  Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) Electoral Committee yesterday accepted Trevor Carelse-Juul’s candidature for the December 5 presidential election sparking controversy with Philip Chiyangwa’s election agent Eddie Chivero saying they will appeal against the decision.

Chivero said they will raise issue with the Zifa Appeals Committee against the decision and claimed that Juul does not qualify to be a candidate because he does not hold a Zimbabwean passport. 

“We are appealing against this decision because he does not have a Zimbabwean passport and only comes back for elections. In any case if he sets foot on Zimbabwe, we will report him to the police for fraud,” said Chivero.

Juul’s nomination was rejected on November 7 as the vetting club requested documents to clarify the South Africa-based businessman’s citizenship and residency from his agent Stanley Makombe.

The electoral committee had also asked for Juul to prove that his ‘ban’ by the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) dating back to 1993 was lifted.

The SRC cleared the former Zifa chairman to run for the elections as he was only suspended from running in the 1993 elections which were eventually won by Leo Mugabe.

Makombe on Tuesday resubmitted his candidate’s papers and the Zifa electoral committee reconvened yesterday to discuss the application.

The vetting club began deliberating the matter in the morning and finally reached a consensus late in the afternoon.

This means the Zifa presidential race will now be contested by four candidates since the electoral committee had already cleared Chiyangwa, James Takavada and Leslie Gwindi to run for the highest office in local football.

Makombe confirmed they had been given the all-clear by the vetting club and were now ready to launch their campaign.

“Obviously, we are extremely excited with the news. This just goes to confirm what we have been saying all along that our papers were in order,” Makombe told the Daily News.

“All this that has been happening were machinations and dust-raising by our rivals. The other candidates did not want him to contest and it only confirms one thing; that Trevor is the best man for the job.”

Despite having to go through rigorous vetting processes, Makombe believes Juul still remains the favourite to win the election despite losing precious campaigning time.

The other candidates, Chiyangwa in particular, have been hard on the campaign trail in order to try and convince the 58 Zifa councillors, who will be voting come December 5.

“We would like to thank to thank the electoral college and the voters who have been giving us a lot of hope during this time,” said Makombe

“A lot of fans have been contacting Trevor via various social media platforms and all their sentiments were that they would be backing his presidency.

“Now with this news confirming his candidacy, there are sponsors who have confirmed they are willing to come on board because a new Zifa is right on the dawn."

Makombe said they will now be launching their election campaign in due course and is confident they will achieve a landslide victory.

Comments (4)

ko sei kutya mumwe candidate kusvika pakadai, hatidi mityutyu.

munhuwamwari - 14 November 2015

Mr Chiyangwa soccer is different from politics, no such rules of blocking others are tolerated. The most vocal man in most cases is a coward person. We want someone who knows the game to right it. The race is open don't go to court its against FIFA rules.

batsiranayi ngugama - 14 November 2015

Don't forget in 1993 Juul was disqualified to pave for Leo Mugabe. Would they not do the same again for this distant relative of R. G. Mugabe-Zimbabwe? For your information Robert Gabriel Mugabe recently changed his surname to double barreled Mugabe-Zimbabwe

Dingiswayo - 15 November 2015

hatidimagwara murace

fredrick katambarare - 16 November 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.