Blatter appeals against Fifa ban

ZURICH - Fifa president Sepp Blatter is appealing against his 90-day ban from football's world governing body.

The 79-year-old Swiss has been suspended from all duties while Fifa's ethics committee investigates corruption claims against its leader.

He was suspended on Thursday along with secretary general Jerome Valcke and vice-president Michel Platini.

Platini will contest the ban "in the appropriate manner at the appropriate time". All three deny any wrongdoing.

Klaus Stohlker, Blatter's friend and adviser, said: "He has appealed already to Fifa's appeal committee. He is defending his position and he is sure that he will be found not guilty."

However, some have questioned Blatter's desire to stay in charge. Former Football Association chairman David Bernstein told the BBC: "Blatter is a fool to himself to stay on for so long."

David Gill, a Fifa vice-president and the vice-chairman of the FA, has written to Markus Kattner, Fifa's acting secretary general, to request an emergency meeting of the governing body's executive committee.

African football confederation chief Issa Hayatou, Fifa's longest-serving vice-president, is heading the organisation in Blatter's enforced absence.

Fifa's ethics committee began its investigation into Blatter after the Swiss attorney general opened criminal proceedings against him in September.

He is accused of signing a contract "unfavourable" to Fifa and making a "disloyal payment" to Platini.

The ethics committee also opened an inquiry into Platini over the 2m euros (£1.35m) payment, which was made nine years after the 60-year-old Frenchman carried out consultation work for Blatter.

Valcke was already on gardening leave from his Fifa post following newspaper allegations last month which implicated the 55-year-old in a scheme to profit from the sale of World Cup tickets.

Valcke's lawyer said that his client was "confident" he will be fully cleared of the "false allegations" when "all the facts come out".

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.