8 Southlea Park 'land barons' arrested

HARARE - At least eight more Ordar Consotium “land barons”, accused of illegally selling residential stands on land owned by businessman Phillip Chiyangwa’s Pinnacle Property Holdings (Pinnacle) were arrested yesterday as the crackdown on land scandals continued.

National police spokesperson Charity Charamba confirmed to the Daily News yesterday that the eight are expected to appear in court today or tomorrow and are due to be charged with fraud.

Although Charamba did not have the list of those arrested by the time of going to press, the Daily News understands that Lina Madzinga, Benny Tangai Matenga, Harry Muzondo, Phineas Kudzai Kwangwari, Lawson Vumba, William Machiya, Tonderai Madzivire and Gift Kazetete were reported to have been arrested. Three others are said to be still at large.

One of those who was arrested at the weekend, Partson Mabika appeared in court yesterday charged with $1 million fraud.

Mabika, 55, of 54 Shaftesberry Road Craneborne, employed at Grain Marketing Board, appeared before Harare magistrate Francis Mapfumo. He was granted $2 000 bail, ordered to surrender title deeds of his house, to desist from interfering with witnesses and investigations.

The informant is a director of property tycoon Chiyangwa’s Pinnacle. Ordar Farm is owned by Sensene Investments (Pvt) Ltd, a subsidiary of Pinnacle.

Prosecutor Idah Maromo alleged that sometime in 2002, the government acquired Ordar Farm from Zimbabwe Tobacco Association (ZTA).

On January 13, 2006, the farm was handed over to Ordar Housing Consortium for housing development on condition that the consortium would develop the land before compensating the previous owner, in this case Chiyangwa who has retained full ownership of the land

Contrary to the government’s decision, Mabika allegedly connived with Muzondo, Matenga, Madziyire, Kazetete, Vumba, Kwangwari and Machiya among others to defraud Pinnacle of the land.

They reportedly misrepresented to 7 976 home seekers that they were lawful land owners of Ordar Farm. They started selling the stands at prices ranging from $6 000 to $10 000 each.

On April 9 this year, the government surrendered the farm to Pinnacle following a court contest.

The out-of-court settlement stated that the complainants were obliged to directly compensate Pinnacle. On July 8, Pinnacle was issued with a title deed number 2807/15 for the land.

However, the accused persons continued selling the residential stands.

The matter came to light  after Pinnacle approached the complainants claiming compensation but was told that they had bought the land from Mabika and his accomplices. The matter was reported to the police, leading to Mabika’s arrest.

Mabika’s actions prejudiced the complainants of $1 million according to the State. Nothing was recovered.

Comments (5)

what will happen to those who had been fleeced of their money?

mukanya - 25 August 2015

SAHDT "Southern Africa Housing Development"Matsotsi futi dont buy stands from them.

Trymore Hungwe - 26 August 2015

I think the law must protect both the state and the victim. When are the investigaters comming to Sally Mugabe hsg coop. As we speak someone is being fleeced of $15000 for a stand that belong to someone.

EL-DODO - 26 August 2015

please editor may your reporters please give use the full background of the story. why way was this land returned to chiyangwa yet it was aquired from ZTA? IS IT NOT A CASE OF ENRICHING CHIYANGWA YET HE DID NOTHING TO DEVELOP THAT AREA?WHY MUST HE BE COMPENSTATED LET GVT GIVE HIM ANOTHER FARM. HE DEVELOPED NOTHING HE IS ONLY BRING IN CHOAS. THE REAL CROOK TINOMUZIVA. DR CHOMBO OFFICIALY HANDED OVER THIS PROJECT TO THESE GROUP OF COMPANIES WHERE WAS CHIYANGWA THEN PLEASE STOP THIS CORRUPTION WE KNOW WHTS GOING ON

mac sibanda - 27 August 2015

mapenzi emuzimbabwe, nyika ikatongwa nevatoirwa ndizvozvinoitika wanoita zvese zvese vabvakurere vanoita zvemari chete kkkk. protect the victim.jail all the land barons ko kunyatsime housing project kuchitungwiza mosvika rini.

dofo - 27 August 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.