South Sudan peace snub 'mind-boggling'

JUBA - South Sudanese President Salva Kiir's refusal to sign a deal to end an 18-month civil war was "mind-boggling", the chief mediator has said.

Regional body Igad would say "enough is enough" if he failed to sign in 15 days, Seyoum Mesfin told the BBC.

Fighting between government and rebel forces has resumed following Mr Kiir's failure to endorse the deal on Monday.

Nearly two million people have been left homeless since conflict broke out in the world's newest state in 2013.

Rebel leader Riek Machar signed the accord in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, on Monday - the deadline set by mediators.

He accused Mr Kiir of choosing war over peace.

International sanctions had been threatened by mediators if both sides failed to reach an agreement on Monday.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.