Fans turn screws on Zifa

HARARE - The Zimbabwe National Soccer Supporters Association (ZNSSA) president Eddie Chivero says they are ready to take Zifa to court if they don’t respond to their petition within the next seven days. 

The supporters’ body, have raised concerns that the current Zifa leadership led by Cuthbert Dube has violated the association’s constitution by not holding an Annual General Meeting (AGM) as ordered by Fifa.

Chivero said as the major stakeholders in the country’s football, they are worried by the rate at which football in the country is deteriorating while the Sports and Recreational Commission is watching.

The ZNSSA had over the weekend planned a peaceful street demonstration to the Zifa House and to Cuthbert Dube’s place of residents to force him to step down.

The fans were, however, stopped by the police who reminded them to respect Dube’s privacy.

“We have wanted to demonstrate walking to his house over the weekend but there were some police officers who said we should not go to his house,” Chivero told the Daily News yesterday.

“What we are saying is simple. We told them that Dube should leave the office as soon as possible because he failed to hold the AGM within the stipulated time.

“Dube and (Jonathan) Mashingaidze are now running Zifa unconstitutionally which is illegal. We gave Zifa seven days to respond to our petition and failure of which will leave us with no option but to approach the court of law.

“The constitution is very clear on all these issues. The councillors even called for a meeting which they have also moved to July and some are even saying it could be now in August.

“The problem is Mashingaidze and Dube are feeding Fifa with wrong information. Fifa also need to look into our constitution not just accept information from one side.”

Chiovero added: We are disappointed with the Sports and Recreation Commission because Zifa have violated the constitution but they are quite. We are having the same problems even in cricket but they are quite.

“We want the court to interpret the constitution and if these guys are running the association illegally then the court have the power to stop them.

“Just look at the recent Warriors preparations. Those guys are not serious.”

Last week, the Warriors almost failed to travel to Malawi as players were demanding their allowances and matches fees in advance as they have suffered enough heartache at Zifa’s hands in the past.

In the end, Walter Magaya, the leader of the Prophetic Healing and Deliverance ministries, agreed to pay the players.

Despite the shambolic preparations, Warriors defied all odds to stun hosts Malawi 2-1.

The South Africa-based duo of Cuthbert Malajila and Khama Billiat scored in each half to ensure maximum points for the Warriors in their group opener.

On Tuesday, the Zifa board also suspended vice-president Omega Sibanda and board member for finance, Bernard Gwarada.

All the four regional chairmen, Willard Manyengavana (Northern Region), Musa Mandaza (Southern Region), Festus Kamambo (Central Region) and Piraishe Mabhena (Eastern Region) were suspended by the association.

Matebeleland North provincial chairman Dennis Mushonga and Sweeney Mushonga, the Northern Region treasurer, were also suspended.

The eight were charged with trying o overthrown Dube during a Assembly meeting held in Harare last month.

Comments (2)

surely we should push dube out he failed lets forget about src or ministry and do it ourselves

petros - 17 June 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.