Dethroned Miss Zim refuses to return tiara

HARARE - Dethroned Miss Zimbabwe, Emily Kachote, said yesterday she will not return her bejewelled crown until pageant organisers tell her what wrong she did.

The Marry Chiwenga-led Miss Zimbabwe Trust (MZT) on Wednesday said Kachote, 25, had been dethroned for violating rules and regulations governing the pageant.

An emotionally-charged Kachote lashed back at her accusers in an interview with the Daily News yesterday, saying the Miss Zimbabwe Trust had betrayed her by replacing her with first princess, Annie-Grace Mutambu.

“I never accepted their decision,” she said.

“I am still Miss Zimbabwe. They insisted that the decision is final, that I could not do anything about it, but I am Miss Zimbabwe.

“When I was contacted by Terry Bharu (MZT secretary) yesterday (Wednesday), she told me that there was a meeting. I told them that I wanted a press conference if I was going to speak to the media.

“To my surprise, there was only one reporter from the State-owned media, no one else.

“They then asked me to step down and I told them no, I was not a quitter.”

The Miss Zimbabwe executive board informed the nation in a statement that it had resolved to dethrone her as Miss World Zimbabwe 2015. Kachote, who was set to compete at this year’s Miss World finals, allegedly told a Harare tabloid that she had suspected “these pictures” would emerge but “it happened a long time ago”.

Contestants signed statements that they had never posed nude.

She insisted that she never admitted to having any nude pictures.

“They said I should step down because of a ‘confession’ that I gave to H-Metro, which I never did. The reporter who did that story lied, I never confessed to pictures.

“How could I confess to pictures that I had not seen. I even asked him (the reporter) to send me the pictures in question and he did not.

“I had never met him and we only spoke on the phone, so where was the confession coming from?”

She said she was mulling legal action.

“Right now, I am digesting what has happened. I am still Miss Zimbabwe, I just need to breathe and I am considering legal action,” she fumed.

No comment was immediately available from the Miss Zimbabwe Trust, with Chiwenga said to be out of town.  Tendai Chirau, the Miss Zimbabwe Trust’s communications person was not picking up both his phones.

Last year’s Miss Zimbabwe, Thabiso Phiri, resigned in August after photos emerged online allegedly showing her posing naked.

Comments (3)

"The Miss Zimbabwe executive board informed the nation...." Informed the nation ! Nation yacho yava yematakanana inotarisirwa kuteerera mahumbwe atirikuitirwa navana maiChiwenga. He-e, he-e ndini amaiChiwenga mudzimai wemukurui wemauto enyika. He-e ndirikuzivisa nation yeZimbabwe kuti Kachote kamoto ndadzima. He-e ndabatidza mwenje wenyika pana Mutambu. So-o-o.

Sekuru Chihori Ngi-i - 12 June 2015

Shame! All those who belong to Mai Mujuru's faction will be fired from whatever and wherever. Wake-up! Don't take rat-kill anyway. More heads will roll wait and see.

mupandawana - 12 June 2015

Y z it every mrs zim is found guilty of nude pics before tey are paid their dues. I smel a rat here, jst tell thm there z no money to pay them than to waste their precious tym!!

chamvari - 15 June 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.
Enter the three characters from the image on the right. This helps prevent automated 'bots' from submitting spam to the site. This field is NOT case-sensitive. If the characters are a bit hard to see, try refreshing the code by clicking the image.