Mangwiro furious despite win

HARARE - Taurai Mangwiro stormed off the pitch five minutes before the end as his Harare City side beat high-flying Chapungu 2-0 in protest of the officiating during Friday’s Castle Lager Premiership match at Rufaro Stadium.

With his side leading 2-0 courtesy of goals from Honey Chimutimunzeve and Tinotenda Kadewere, Mangwiro left the pitch with five minutes of added time to be played as he was frustrated by the officiating by referee Pedzisai Chadya.

The Sunshine Boys’ gaffer watched the remainder of the encounter from the terraces.

However, his assistant Mkhuphali Masuku, played down the incident saying Mangwiro had left the technical area to answer nature’s call in the dressing room.

“He didn’t storm into the terraces he was going to the loo,” Masuku told reporters after the match. “When he left the bench he said he is going to the loo so he went to the loo.”

City also finished the match with 10-men after defender Arnold Chivheya 74th minute sending off second bookable offence.

Chimutimunzeve had opened the scoring for the home side in the sixth minute when he taped in from close range a cross from central defender Crispen Dickson.

Zimbabwe Under-23 forward Kadewere grabbed the second for City in the 65th minute when he made a solo run into the box before slotting past a diving Roy Mazingi to give his side their first win after three matches.

“In the last games we have been playing very well but the results weren’t forthcoming especially on the goals but the general performance of the team was just excellent,” added Masuku.

“We utilised our chances well, something that we have been working on throughout the week. As for the match officials all I can say is that they are human beings; they make mistakes as much as we coaches make mistakes.”

Chapungu coach John Nyikadzino whose team’s eight-match unbeaten run came to a halt yesterday gave credit to City for the victory.

“They had a better game plan than ours and the turning point was that sixth minute goal that we conceded. We tried to come back into the match but conceded yet another early goal in the second half,” he said.

“A game like this (defeat) was bound to come after eight games, this was such a day and we have to go back to the drawing board and start working for the next encounter.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.