Harrison to decide Mutuma's fate

HARARE - The new CAPS United board appointed yesterday by the club’s shareholders says coach Mark Harrison will decide the fate of want-away striker Roderick Mutuma.

Farai Jere became the Green Machine’s major shareholder after he acquired an 80 percent stake in the Green Machine leaving Twine Phiri equity of 20 percent.

The two shareholders yesterday appointed a seven-non-executive member board chaired by Lewis Uriri.

The other members and their respective portfolios include former player Alois Bunjira (Marketing), TK Hove (Secretary), Nhamo Tutisani (Operations), Mordecai Sachikonye (Sporting and technical affairs), Abraham Kawadza and Alex Munyaka (Stakeholders).

Speaking after the new board’s first meeting in the capital yesterday, Uriri said Jere and Phiri would not interfere in the affairs of the board and vice-versa.

The new board started off by paying the players’ current salaries while the outstanding dues which had caused pandemonium in the Makepekepe dressing room in recent months will be settled in due course.

“The shareholders themselves are not going to be members of the board and the board is not going to be executive and the executive function will purely be undertaken by management,” said the Harare lawyer.

“The executive function will be a management function headed by Joe Makuvire.”

Mutuma, who was Makepekepe’s marquee signing at the start of the year, quit the club earlier this month and has not been reporting for training ever since because he was owed in signing on fees and salaries.

Defenders Dominic Mukandi and Steven Makatuka also took the cue from Mutuma and did not show up for training last week and missed the win over Dongo Sawmills on Sunday.

The two, however, showed up yesterday at the club base at Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Sports Club.

Uriri said: “That’s an executive function and it’s for the coach to decide really and by and large, the executive in undertaking the executive function which is not a board function will have to engage the players, those who have expressed discontent and so on.

“We are very much alive of such instances and that if there have been any breaches (and I emphasise if any, I’m not saying there were any breaches) of any contract then technically the players and the technical team would have been on the market.

“They would have been entitled to be employed elsewhere but it’s really an executive function and it is for the executive to engage them (players).

“It is for the executive informed by the technical team to decide whom they are going to have, it’s not a board function and something we are incompetent to comment on.”

Meanwhile, Harrison says he will not beg Mutuma to return to the club.

“I’m not going to beg Mutuma to comeback even if he was (Cristiano) Ronaldo, I wasn’t going to do that,” he said.

“It seems his heart is elsewhere because look at the other guys; Makatuka and Mukandi, they were at training today but Mutuma never even tried to call me.

“I will work with those who are willing to play for CAPS United. It was his decision and he knows what’s best for his career.”

The Briton gave the former Dynamos striker an ultimatum that if he continues to stay away and incommunicado there will be no future for him at Makepekepe.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.