Ministers off the hook

HARARE - Embattled ministers Walter Mzembi and David  Parirenyatwa — lived to see another day after surviving the brutal Zanu PF night of long knives on Thursday.

The pair, together with former ministers for Indigenisation, Francis Nhema, Information Communication Technology’s Webster Shamu, and Health and Child Care deputy Paul Chimedza, were heavily tipped to be axed last week when hounds in the faction-ridden ruling party had put in motion their demise.

Mzembi, especially, had come under severe pressure in his province of Masvingo which wanted him fired for supporting sacked former Vice President Joice Mujuru but the benevolence of President Robert Mugabe saved him from the guillotine that claimed seven bigwigs, including former Cabinet ministers.

Ahead of the party’s politburo meeting — many inside Zanu PF had written him off but Mzembi survived.

Mzembi, who does not have a seat in the party’s politburo, has been on the ropes for a while now amid accusations of clandestine dealings and associating with former VP Mujuru.

Nicholas Goche, who stands accused of travelling to Israel to look for support to remove Mugabe, was suspended for five years along with hordes of other party heavyweights.

Zanu PF expelled seven party bigwigs: former Zanu PF Mashonaland East chairperson Ray Kaukonde, former Cabinet minister Olivia Muchena, former Masvingo resident minister Kudakwashe Bhasikiti, prominent Mujuru ally David Butau, former Energy minister Dzikamai Mavhaire, Kudakwashe Gopo and former Central Committee member Claudius Makova from the party.

The National Disciplinary Committee chaired by Vice President Phelekezela Mphoko led the politburo discussions.

While there was no confirmation on whether those who survived had apologised to the party bigwigs or not, lickspittle State media columnist Nathaniel Manheru hinted so.

Manheru is believed to be Mugabe’s spokesman George Charamba.

“This is how the latest round of expulsions and suspensions speaks more to those in the party than those facing chastisement, than those affected by them. Let the lesson be read well, so smug complacency gives was to self- introspection. No one, big or small, should imagine their misdeed in the gamatox era went unknown, unnoticed, nay, unrecorded,” said Manheru.

“The conspiracy was too grave to invite languid attention. The guilty ones who have transited to post-congress Zanu PF, who seem to have survived the chop, simply have been allowed to do so. They are creatures of tender mercies, never heroes at dissembling. Their survival owes nothing to their cleverness. Which is why they should mend their ways,” he said.

However, Zanu PF is expected to release the names of those who were suspended from holding any party positions for at least two years.

The Zanu PF Masvingo Provincial Coordinating Committee (PCC) had recommended the expulsion of party heavyweights like Mavhaire, Bhasikiti, Chimedza, former provincial chairperson Killian Gwanetsa and Makova over allegations that they were supporting Mujuru.

And it had suggested that Mzembi be axed or suspended for at least five years, together with other legislators; Ephraim Gwanongodza, (Chivi Central) Tongai Muzenda (Gutu North), Denford Masiya (Chiredzi East) and Darlington Chiwa (Chiredzi West).

Shylet Uyoyo, Ellias Musakwa, former Chivi North legislator Tranos Huruva and his young brother Oliver are also on the expulsion list.

Those from Mashonaland West, Matabeleland North, Matabeleland South and Bulawayo who were also on the chop list are yet to meet their fate as verdicts are still to be made on their cases.

Comments (2)

Does this firing party have a constitution?@ this rate of firing with no hearing at all, who will remain in the party?

Tahir Iqbal - 25 May 2015

Both of these reprobates should be added on the EU and American Targeted Sanctions schedules. Naturally the British and Eurpoean Union representatives in Harare think these anarchists should be ordained as Global Heroes for their supreme wealth and irrevocable Intellects.

Clown Observer - 26 May 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.