'Wene Music Awards still on'

HARARE - Rooftop Promotions remains adamant that they will finally hold the Wene Music Awards in October after last year’s false start.

Rooftop Promotions media and information officer, Robert Tapfumaneyi told the Daily News that while they are busy constructing the new Theatre in the Park in the Harare Gardens, they will still hold the awards ceremony.

“Wene Music Awards will be held on October 29, 2015, this has been our date as we mentioned when we launched them. The plan has always been to make it a permanent date and we hope that this can be achieved in the next three years.

“We have been quiet on the Wene Music Awards as much effort is being channelled towards the construction of our state-of-the-art new venue which has been consuming most of our time and energy. Please also note that constructing of a 500-seater place, the first purpose theatre venue to be built after independence is no joke.

“We are in April and as I have said the awards will definitely happen in October.  Rooftop Promotions is very much capable of holding such an event as you may know that our awards intend to follow international standards,” he said.

Last year the awards were postponed to a later date as they clashed with the Zimbabwe Music Awards (Zima).

They were postponed again following the death of Book Café founder who was also the Wene chairperson, Paul Brickhill.

Tapfumaneyi dismissed reports that their coffers were being strained by the venue construction. “Wene is not a question of money but timing and to do a job that makes everyone in the music industry happy.

“If the secretariat and the board decide to shelve this project for any other unforeseeable reasons, you will be the first to know. I can assure you that just after winter when we finish with the construction of the venue, we will start making noise about the event,” he said.

They however, declined to disclose the new chairperson’s name. “Wene Music Awards chairperson will be unveiled in the not so distant future.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.