Chapungu edge ZPC

GWERU - Chapungu picked up their maiden home win of the season here by handing ZPC Kariba their first defeat in 2015 during yesterday’s rescheduled Castle Lager Premiership match.

The match was supposed to have been played on Easter Monday but heavy rains that pounded Gweru on the day resulted in the pitch getting waterlogged.

Chapungu drew first blood through Gift Phiri a minute before the halftime whistle when he headed past ZPC goalkeeper Tapiwa Zvaita.

The visitors equalised in the 63rd minute after full back Dexter Phiri beat Chapungu goalie Roy Mazingi with a long range shot from almost 40 yards out.

Tineyi Chitora sealed the home side’s win when he tapped a cross from the ageless Phillip Marufu nine minutes from full time.

Chapungu coach John Nyikadzino was elated by the win, his side’s second win of the season after beating Highlanders in their last outing two weeks ago.

“I am very happy with the win. It is good for our Gweru fans, who have been rallying behind the team,” Nyikadzino said.

“Our win against Highlanders boosted our confidence. We have good players but it was just a matter of time before the combinations began working.”

ZPC coach Saul Chaminuka was irate with referee Makonese Masakadza for poor officiating.

“This is bull**** when the referee handles the match in the manner he did. This is all I have to say to you,” Chaminuka said.

Chaminuka’s main grievance with the match official was the decision to send off his forward Tawanda Nyamandwe for a foul on Moenda Muchangani towards the end of the match.

Nyamandwe will now miss ZPC’s crucial encounter with CAPS United this weekend.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.