Zifa meeting cancelled again

HARARE - The eagerly awaited Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) Annual General Meeting (AGM) set for this Saturday has been called off again.

Zifa CEO Jonathan Mashingaidze yesterday sent a memo to the members of the Zifa Assembly notifying them about the cancellation of the AGM for the second time and rescheduled it to June 27 this year.

The first AGM was cancelled in March without any plausible explanation.

According to the memo seen by the Daily News’ circulated by Mashingaidze, the association’s financial challenges and recent Young Warriors commitments are the major causes of postponement.

The Daily News understands that Zifa president Cuthbert Dube and Mashingaidze, who have been under fire for their mismanagement in recent month, cancelled the meeting in order to buy time.

A number of Zifa Assembly members have been eager to attend the Saturday’s meeting to get to the bottom of a number of pressing football issues.

Firstly, there is the matter of Zimbabwe’s suspension by Fifa from participating in the 2018 Russia World Cup qualifiers due to non-payment of former coach Valinhos.

Zifa owes the Brazilian $60 000 in unpaid salary and despite numerous warnings from Fifa, Mashingaidze is accused of having failed to act or appraise the Zifa board to the matter.

At the same time, Zifa’s debt, which stood at $700 000 when Dube came into office in 2010, is now at a staggering $6 million.

To worsen matters, most of the association’s property was auctioned off earlier this year as bailiffs constantly knocked on the Zifa door at the instruction of creditors owed varying amounts.

Dube has also come under fire from his fellow board members, who have questioned the way the former Premier Services Medical Aid boss and Mashingaidze have turned the association into a two-man show.

Some of the councillors, who spoke with the Daily News yesterday, said they were even prepared to travel to Harare using their own resources to attend the crucial meeting.

“We are tired of them (Mashingaidze and Dube),” said one councillor who refused to be named.

“They know their exit is imminent and all they are doing is to buy some time. I can tell you that we are not happy and this meeting will only show the two the exit door.

“We have been tolerant with them for a long time now and it’s high time we save our national game. They have caused enough damage. Enough is enough.” 

Another councillor said: “They want to go and vote for the Fifa elections without even consulting us. This is exactly the reason we want them to go now.”

Comments (1)

Hahahada welcome to zim guys, it shows how powerful the US dollar is, Mis Langa and his deputy are now suspiciously quiet kikiki heads wil roll so said min langa. Also surprising is Parly who are just qiuet as well dai iri dembare nyaya yacho dai yakataurwa mu parament kikiki

Pablo - 24 April 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.