Dube in the dark over suspensions?

HARARE - Zifa president Cuthbert Dube is in the dark regarding the suspension of women’s football boss Miriam Sibanda and her subordinates Edwin Magosvongwe and Ben Mamuche on Tuesday.

Sources close to the development told the Daily News that Dube was not consulted when the purportedly Zimbabwe Women Football Assembly met at the Zifa Village to discuss the matter.

Sibanda and Mamuche were ‘suspended’ by the Assembly for allegedly misconduct and corruption.

Although Sibanda has been a vocal critic of Dube since coming into power last year, the Zifa boss is said to be against this latest purge according to sources.

The stage has now been set for a collision between Dube and those behind the Tuesday’s meeting and Sibanda’s suspension.

Zifa communications manager Xolisani Gwesela referred all questions to the Women's Assembly. 

Yesterday, the Women’s Assembly remained adamant that they had shown Sibanda the exit door and were now waiting for the Zifa Disciplinary Committee to deal with the matter.

Women’s Assembly spokesperson Brightwell Kadenge said everything was done above board.

“The Assembly runs its business along its jurisdiction and we only recommend to the board what we would have discussed,” said Kadenge.

“In this case we are talking about acts of misconduct which involve funds. You cannot investigate such cases when the person involved is still in office, they will obviously interfere with the investigation.”

A statement from the Women’s Assembly said: “The Zimbabwe Women Football Assembly was never manipulated or arm twisted by any external forces but resolved to act at their own discretion since the behaviour of the three warranted suspension.”

“We are an Assembly and have due right as enshrined in the Statutes to suspend and appoint.   This is a suspension not a ban. The Zifa Disciplinary Committee will investigate fully the charges and come up with a determination which will guide the Assembly.          

“In the one year she has been in charge, three clubs namely Masvingo, New Orleans and Aces failed to play. New Orleans has a rich 31 year history only to be disenfranchised by the Board.

“More clubs were likely to default from the Super league as new club requirements circulated by Mrs Sibanda aimed at driving unfavourable teams out of football.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.