Triangle massacre CAPS

HARARE - Lameck Nhamo returned from injury to score a brace as trailblazing log leaders Triangle thumped a hapless and clueless CAPS United on Sunday.

The dominant performance by Kelvin Kaindu’s men saw them reclaim pole position in the Castle Lager Premiership log standings with 13 points from five matches.

The Sugar Sugar Boys scored two goals on either side of the half in a ruthless display of class to hand Makepekepe a humiliating defeat.

Makepekepe assistant coach Brenna Msiska was also given his marching orders in a frustrating afternoon for the visitors.

There were early warning signs that CAPS were in for a tough afternoon when goalkeeper Victor Twaliki used his legs to block a Nhamo shot in the 16th minute.

Nhamo, who was playing a blinder, also had other two good chances to open the scoring in successive minutes as the visitor’s defence was at sea.

There was nothing though Twaliki could do to stop a towering header by Richard Kawondera from a Nhamo corner kick from going in at the half hour mark.

A minute later, the Sugar Sugar Boys were two goals to the good as Nhamo lofted his shot over a drawn-out Twaliki.

From there on, Triangle were in cruise control playing possession football that had CAPS chasing shadows in the sweltering Lowveld heat.

The home team’s tight organisation in defence frustrated Makepekepe’s front line, who were in perpetual offside positions.

In the second period, Triangle picked off from where they had left off in the first period with Nhamo’s shot going wide a minute after the break.

Ten minutes later, Nhamo got his brace after finishing off from close range after CAPS defender Stephen Makatuka gave away possession.

Msiska was then given his marching orders by referee Munyaradzi Majoni for remonstrating against the goal.

Riot police however, had to escort him away as he continued his pitch side protest against the referee’s decision.

Felix “Mbesuma” Kuswatuka scored the last goal for the home side when he hit the roof of the net after he was teed-up by Hillary Bakachesa.

CAPS coach Mark Harrison summed up the game when he admitted his charges were never offered any chance to play by the home side.

“It was a shocking performance from us from start to finish…we didn’t do anything well in the entire 90 minutes. We didn’t compete at all,” Harrison said after the game.

His opposite number Kaindu was happy with his side’s display.

“We scored four goals against a good side like Caps and it shows that we are going somewhere,” Kaindu said.

The Zambian however, shot down any talk of his side challenging for the title saying their target for now was amassing 35 points which he said would help them avoid relegation.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.