Dube sticks to old habits

HARARE - Cuthbert Dube has been criticised for not attending local football matches and despite continued public outcry over the state of the national game which is clearly in intensive care, it seems the Zifa president is not moved.

The Young Warriors, considered as the future national team after Dube's board disbanded the Warriors were at Rufaro Stadium on Sunday, where they defied odds, beating Cameroon 1-0 in an All-Africa Games qualifier - sadly there was no sign of the Zifa  president to cheer them up.

Prior to their match against Cameroon, the Young Warriors camp was rocked by a serious crisis following poor communication by the football association which saw most Premiership and foreign clubs declining to release players for the tie.

Despite all the set-backs, Calisto Pasuwa's charges went on to beat their highly-fancied opponents but it was evident that they felt ill-treated by their association.

Football Association of Zambia (Faz) president Kalusha Bwalya, who is credited for the rise of that country's football recently, is actively involved in the day-to-day business of the national game from the grassroots going upwards.

Before the Zambia Under-20 national team went to participate at the 2015 Africa Youth Championship, Bwalya made some interesting remarks.

"Always remember that you are young and still developing, so focus a lot on football and skill.

"Once you do that, success will follow you. So don't look for success but just thrive on the pitch and you will see success follow you," Kalusha told Zambian local media then.

He added: "You are the guys who will qualify us to the 2017 Africa Cup and also to the 2018 Olympics, so you need to understand what task is ahead of you and make us proud."

This is in sharp contrast with our own Young Warriors, who have been left without a father figure since Dube is not bothered to watch them in action.

Bwalya hardly misses Zambia's games whether it's home or away, which cannot be said about Dube who only watched the Warriors in action once at the National Sports Stadium on June 2, 2010, when Zimbabwe hosted Brazil in a high-profile friendly match.

Dube embarked on campaigning crusades during the football association's elections last year, visiting provinces across the country and drumming up support which culminated in his re-election, interestingly he has never attended a match involving the national teams since he got that mandate.

There have been 47 international matches for the Warriors since that game against Brazil, including friendly matches, and Dube has been a no-show at all these matches.

Imagine, like Bwalya, Dube taking his time to address these youngsters ahead of such crucial matches like the one they played at the weekend.

Beating Cameroon under such harsh conditions was a huge achievement for the Young Warriors.

It did not take Zambia overnight to be where they are today but it was a long-term goal led by Bwalya which started back in 2006, resulting from the failure to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, when they finished behind Togo and Senegal.

The group was primarily drawn from the Under-23 and Under-20 sides, and what's telling about Zambia's success is how some of them have gone on to achieve greater things individually.

Comments (4)

this Dube guy is bad news.nothing tangible comes out of him and its high time the authorities reign in him.

fire links - 25 March 2015

Dube never kicked a football in his life. He does not know anything about developing football talent. Bwalya was a star player and he knows what he is talking about. Zifa has the tradition of having presidents who never kicked a football. First there was Leo Mugabe, and then came Dube and Rushwaya. They had some money in the bank or connections and they got 'elected' even if one wonders on what criteria. The corruption in the football in our country is sickening.

Chenjerai Hove - 25 March 2015

WY worry about Cashbert in ZIM everyone in position of power doesnt want to resign. Someone has set a wrong precedent

Munhumutema - 25 March 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.