Manyuchi WBC opponent pulls out

HARARE - Zimbabwean boxer Charles Manyuchi will no longer defend his World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight title against David Avanesya after the Russian pulled out.

He will, however, trade leather with Silerio Ortiz of Mexico in Lusaka later this month.

Reports from Zambia revealed that the Russian demanded the fight to be staged in his home country, which Manyuchi’s promoters refused.

“Yes, Manyuchi’s opponent pulled out and he is set to fight a Mexican but I cannot give you full information. Contact Zimbabwe Boxing Board of Control chairman, Paul Nenjerama,” a source told the Daily News yesterday.

Efforts to get a comment from Nenjerama proved fruitless as his mobile phone went unanswered.

However, The Post, a Zambian newspaper on Friday wrote, “Oriental Quarries Boxing Promotions operations manager Christopher Malunga said Zimbabwean boxer Charles Manyuchi would defend his WBC title against Silverio Ortiz of Mexico.”

The boxer’s stock has risen since he beat Ghanaian Patrick Allotey to claim the vacant WBC welterweight title in March last year.

Manyuchi followed up that victory by successfully defending his belt when he beat Colombian Devis Casseres by a second round technical knockout in November last year.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.