Fifa assess Zim situation

HARARE - World football governing body Fifa is “assessing” the situation in Zimbabwe following recent threats by the Government to dissolve the Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) board led by the embattled president Cuthbert Dube.

On Wednesday, deputy Sports minister Tabeth Kanengoni-Malinga told parliamentarians that Government was on the verge of sacking Dube and his entire executive and risk the full wrath of Fifa.

Fifa outlaws external interference in the affairs of its affiliate members, and such action attracts a ban for at least five years.

“We are not happy with Zifa and what is happening there,” Kanengoni-Malinga told the august House.

“Fifa is saying we must not interfere in football matters or we risk being suspended. Government is saying if it is suspension let us be suspended.  We are going to remove the people who are ruining our football.”

Kanengoni-Malinga continued her onslaught against Dube on Thursday when she reiterated her threats, saying Dube’s sacking was imminent.

Fifa were not giving much away when contacted by the Daily News yesterday.

“Fifa is in contact with Zifa to assess the situation. We have no further comment at this stage,” a Fifa spokesperson told the Daily News yesterday.

In the event that the government goes ahead and disbands the current Zifa board, Fifa will ban the country from all forms of international football.

Article 13, par. 1 and article 17, par. 1 of the Fifa Statutes obliges member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence from third parties. The suspension will only be removed once the elected board is reinstated.

During the period of suspension, Zifa may not be represented in any regional, continental or international competitions, including at club level, or in friendly matches.

In addition, neither Zifa nor any of its members or officials may benefit from any Fifa or Caf development programmes, courses or training during the suspension period.

However, according to Kanengoni-Malinga, it would be necessary for Zimbabwe to go under such isolation while rebuilding.

“We can be suspended by Fifa, but we would have done the right thing and we shall do that too and we are going to see changes in our football,” she said.

Dube, who is serving his second term after re-election in March last year, has been accused of failing to act after Zifa’s debt ballooned from $700 000 to $6 million during his time in office.

Zimbabwe’s national team has failed to qualify for three successive Africa Cup of Nations finals and the 2014 Fifa World Cup during Dube’s reign.

Comments (1)

iyi nyaya hainetsi. vana Dube vane ma dirty hands. Just throw them behind bars and that will force another election.

Jore - 2 February 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.