CAPS snub Newton Katanha

HARARE - CAPS United have shut the door on Newton Katanha’s bid for a possible return to the club that laid him a foundation at the turn of the millennium.

The former Arminia Bielefeld forward, who has courted controversy regarding his actual age, had been training with Makepekepe’s cross town rivals Dynamos for the past two weeks but failed to impress coach David Mandigora.

Katanha and fellow striker Misheck Mburayi were cut loose by the Glamour Boys on Monday before showing up at CAPS’ Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Sports Club training base the following day.

Mburayi was allowed to join the other hopefuls trying their luck to earn a contract with Makepekepe.

United assistant coaches Brenna Msiska and Tostao Kwashi, who are taking charge of the pre-season training in the absence of new head coach Mark Harrison, however, declined to offer Katanha a chance to training with the rest of the squad.

Katanha made a name for himself back in 1999 when he turned out for the Green Machine before securing a move to Austrian club FC Red Bull Salzburg, who were still known as SV Austria Salzburg back then.

He also had a stint with another Austrian club Bad Bleiberg before moving to German’s Bundesliga with Bielefeld in 2003.

Katanha has also played in Switzerland, Malaysia, Russia and recently played for Cambodian side Phnom Penh Crown last year before returning home to Zimbabwe.

Another player who has resurfaced at the Green Machine is former Highlanders and Bantu Rovers striker Thabani Moyo.

The Agatha Shaneti Soccer Academy graduate spent last season with Botswana Premiership side Extension Gunners but received little game time.

Moyo spent only 70 minutes on the pitch at Gunners throughout last season before deciding to come back home.

The forward has reportedly impressed so far since beginning training with the Green Machine and has a good chance of securing a contract.

Efforts to get a comment from CAPS United manager George Gumbo proved fruitless by the time of going to press last night.

“At the moment I’m in a meeting. You can get in touch with the CEO Joe Makuvire and he will answer all your questions,” Gumbo told the Daily News yesterday.

Makuvire was also evasive when reached for comment.

“At the moment I cannot give you any details. I did not attend the training session,” he said.

According to club sources, Msiska, Gumbo and Kwashi were locked in marathon meetings after yesterday’s training session.

The purpose of the discussions was to cut down on the size of the squad currently attending pre-season training.

Currently, Makepekepe had a roster of about 44 players and with Harrison expected to arrive in the country early next week; the intention was to remain with at least a squad of 30 to 35 players.

By the time the Britton arrives from South Africa to take charge of his first training session, the squad would be of a manageable size.

Some of the established Premiership players trying their luck with Green Machine include former Harare City defender Witness Nyamutsaka, former Triangle full-back Ronald Sengu, ex-Shabanie centre back Smart Muchabaiwa and goalkeeper Victor Twaliki.

Former Makepekepe players like striker Leonard Tsipa, goalkeeper Itai Chiwara and utility player Tendai Gwata have also been training with them.

Striker Dominic Chungwa and defender David Chipala, who are angling for a move away from Makepekepe, are still to begin training.

Comments (4)

hatisikuda zvekutamba torai Smart for Chipala,Sengu Ronald for Pfumbi, Twaliki for Dube Tsipa for Bulaji and developmet and siyai chiwara hapana keeper paye gwata, nyamutsaka, moyo,chungwa ,chipala and pfumbi ngazviende pliz we need a serious Caps United with players who wants to play for us

fmutamba - 29 January 2015

I wish that CAPS UTD officials could change the club ' name to CENTRAL AFRICA PLAYERS' SOCIETY.( CAPS) UTD FC. this will broaden the club's tapping base and make it a much powerful team in Africa. Thank you.

Douglas D. MAGENGA - 10 July 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.