Big spenders City prepare for long haul

HARARE - They have flexed their financial muscle on the transfer market, but Harare City are not making any promises.

They have no idea how many Castle Premiership games they will win this season, or how long it will take for the Sunshine Boys to become a title contender.

All the club can guarantee is that they will try to build an environment that can produce a champion.

And following a busy spending spree on the transfer market, Harare City have declaring themselves ready for the new season. 

Having finished the 2013 season in third place behind champions Dynamos only on goal difference, the Sunshine Boys hoped for a better campaign last year, but the season turned into a nightmare with relegation fears stalking the club for the better part of the term.

And in a bid to bolster their club ahead of the forthcoming 2015 season, the Sunshine Boys appointed former CAPS United coach Taurai Mangwiro as their new gaffer last December to take over from Masimba Dinyero, who had been in charge on an interim basis following the sacking of Bigboy Mawiwi.

Mangwiro arrived at the Sunshine Boys together with two assistant coaches Mike Madzivanyika (attack) and Mkhuphali Masuku (defence).

The club also announced an ambitious junior development programme that will be spearheaded by experienced coach David George, who will be working together with Dinyero and Elvis Chiweshe.

On the transfer market, City snapped up the CAPS United quartet of goalkeeper Tafadzwa Dube, midfielders Tendai Samanja and Nicholas Alifandika alongside striker Honey Chimutimunzeve.

The municipality-run club also raided champions Dynamos, where they signed the rock solid defender Themba Ndlovu.

They have also added former Kaizer Chiefs defender Lincoln Zvasiya, who was without a club last season, and former Chiredzi FC left back Munashe Chinembeza.

The club’s expenditure has even attracted criticism from Harare mayor Bernard Manyenyeni.

“I wish them every success on the field of play and ideally such success should not be wallet-based. I am, however, not sure if our residents will give us much credit for any success on the soccer field at a time when our core mandate is below expectation,” Manyenyeni wrote on Facebook this week.

The Sunshine Boys are, however, not deterred by the rumblings at Town House and assistant coach Mike Madzivanyika says they are gunning for an improved showing than last season.

City began their pre-season preparations on Monday in the capital and owing to the calibre of players they have signed so far, should be treated as serious Castle Premiership title contenders.  

“We just started training on Monday and we will continue working with the boys. So we will see how it goes,” said Madzivanyika.

“The idea of bringing new players into the team was to strengthen the squad and we are now hoping for better fortunes this season.

“As coaches, we had to fuse together the squad that was there before with the new players that we have brought in. I think the squad we now have will deliver this season.

“As you can see, these are the players that we have for this season and if there are any new players coming in we will let you know.

“Obviously we want to give our best throughout the season and we will see how it goes.”

So far, the Sunshine Boys have shipped out at least 15 players from last season’s squad, such as Tongai Chiworeso, Witness Nyamutsaka, Arnold Chaka and Munyaradzi Kunyarimwe.

They have also released goalkeepers Nomore John and Muzondiwa Gonese together with strikers Crybet Muvuti and Misheck Mburayi.

Comments (1)

People should watch out. Following the formation of this tean so called harare City, the ervices would definitely go down and the workers would always be paid late or not at all. All funds to football team. Same The team should be disbanded Now.

Brian Chikwati - 23 January 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.